The Shelter

I can't remember how long I have been here. 10? 20 naps? Each time I wake up I find another one of my brothers and sister gone.
I wish I knew what this place was.
When I first arrived to this place I was with my sister. She was taken away almost as fast as we arrived here at the walls. She was cute with fur the same color as the eggshells from the farm we were born on.
Me however, I could complain. The humans come in often and turn the other way when they see me and I can't help but ask myself why. Is it the way I smell? Am I not soft?

There is a nice human who comes in. A yellow furred female the Elders call Kati. She pets all of us and makes sure we eat. Some of the others say she pets me because she feels sorry for me but I don't believe them. Kati is kind and full of compassion even if they say my eyes are a weird...

Today was different however. Over the past several naps the same group of humans have come in each day too visit me.
They pet me in which I hesitantly headbutt and sniff at their hairless paws and hear them speak among themselves.
"His name is Floyd, he has been with us for a little over a year now." The Elder human of the walls would say. She had a raspy voice like she needed a drink of water all the time and always smelled of dogs. Not like Kati.

"Over a year? That seems like a long time to have a cat in here don't you think?" The visiting man would say. His pants would dangle just below the knee in reach of paws to be tempted. His fingers would push the other felines away.
"Well yes...he has been here awhile..."

I didn't like it. The way the Elder looked at me when she said that. It made every hair on my body rise up.

"Well we will take him. We think his eyes look unique!" The female visitor would say in an upbeat tone before reaching down.
And suddenly I am being lifted again. Staring into the eyes of the female she had dark hair like the night and eyes that reflected almost the same. "He is great. I am sure Madison will love him! She loves cats. Especially orange ones."

I wasn't sure who Madison was but I never was returned to the floor. In fact the human took me from the others. Staring over the shoulder of this strange woman I watched as all the other cats stare idling at the door wishing to come with me.
When the door clicked I knew I was never going back to that place. I would never seen any of them again.
I spent many naps in that room, I even  made my special spot on the ledge of the clear glass to see outside. The grass was green and looked soft. It made me miss the farm and how I would lay on my back in the sun.
A very used very worn out bed was up there we all took turns with but everyone knew it was my spot.

It was all gone.

Instead I spent what seemed like an eternity in the arms of this strange woman before being shoved into a square container made of the same scratching post in the room.

I meow. There is no response.
I begin clawing at the top and the male swats at my paw. "Shut up! You aren't getting out until we get there."

Where are we going?
When will we get there?