chapter twelve ~ unknown

"c-connor, i-i'm r-really n-n-nervous," evan informed his boyfriend, as if connor couldn't already tell.

it was evan's first day of senior year, and the boys were walking towards hamilton high. connor had insisted on helping evan - after all, this was the high school he had gone to.

"don't worry. remember, you're not alone - zoe's there, too, and she'll help you with whatever you need."

they got to the front of the building and connor hugged evan goodbye. "you can always call me if you need anything, darling. i love you."

"i l-love you, too. b-b-but you sound like a m-mom," evan informed him.

connor laughed and watched evan walk into the building. once evan was in, he started walking back to his new apartment.

while evan was in the hospital, connor had decided to take a gap year. his grades weren't as bad as most people would assume, but he had never truly looked for colleges. he figured he would go to nyu at some point, but for now, he had an apartment in the same building as evan, and he was figuring out what he wanted to do with his life.

suddenly, he got a text.

unknown: hello, connor.

connor raised his eyebrows. huh, maybe it's someone i met, he thought, trying to reason with himself. but when do i ever try to meet people?

connor: who is this?

unknown: an old friend.

unknown: just kidding, you don't know me, but i've always wanted to say that.

what the actual... what?

connor shook his head and slid his phone back into his pocket. maybe it's just a prank.

but his phone chimed again. he grudgingly pulled it out.

unknown: oh, i wouldn't ignore me, if i were you.

connor's heart started racing and he looked around. none of the new yorkers seemed to be observing him.

connor: what the hell is going on?

unknown: just because you got justin locked up doesn't mean it's all over.

unknown: and, hey, don't worry about evan. it's his first day of his senior year, right? i'll take good care of him.

connor felt rage burning inside of him.

connor: who the fuck do you think you are?

connor: hello?

no response.

a mixture of fear, rage, and adrenaline was coursing through connor's veins. his mind was racing.

what do i do, what do i do, what the hell should i do, god this isn't happening, they know about justin, "i'll take good care of him," "doesn't mean it's all over", is evan okay, what the...

connor took screenshots of the conversation and sent them to zoe.

connor: attachment: 3 images

connor: please keep an eye on evan. don't tell him what's going on. i'm heading to the police station.

zoe: damn, this is some pretty little liars shit right here. don't worry bro, i gotchu