chapter 2

Phil? Why would he be calling me? He usually calls me for 3 reasons

1. He ran out of pocky and he's too lazy to go to the store and get more

2. It's anime watchathon (but we usually do that every Saturday)

3. Or he needed to call about Dan

"Phil? What's up?" I asked and started to walk down the crooked sidewalk. Walking towards the west. I heard Phil huffing on the other line.

"Katte!" He said in a panic tone.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Even though I knew exactly what was wrong.

"Have you heard from Dan today?"

I sighed and then replied with my typical answer

"Yes." I could hear heavy breathing slow down.

"oh thank God! Where is he?" He asked. I could hear him fiddle with his keys.

"No, Actually I'm gonna meet up with him in like 15 minutes." I explained to him.

"Katte, I'm really worried about him" His voice saddened. I felt really bad for him. Dan was Phil's best friend. They literally told each other everything and this isolation from Dan was getting to him. He needed to stop acting like everything was fine. I hated seeing Phil this way. Phil was also my friend and I cared for him as much as I did Dan.

"I know. I don't know what to say. I'm worried too and I wish Dan would tell us what was wrong. But maybe he's just dealing with something personal. Just give him some time" I said as I started to walk across the street hoping there were no cars coming. I sprinted across, still trying to listen to Phil. 3,2,1. Made it.

"I think something's just going on with him. Something abnormal. He just walks away at random moments and won't come back for hours. There are times he looks like he just wants to attack me when I've done absolutely nothing wrong!" His voice cracked. He sighed. "I don't know"

"Yeah, I'm gonna figure that out. I'll call you right back. I think I see Dan." I said

"oh okay" He said and hung up. I shut my phone off and put it in my pocket. I could see the Library where I was standing. Although it would take a good 10 minutes to get over there. There was a little park beside the library and that was our spot. It was beautiful. It was built on a field. The part that made it intriguing was that not far from the playground was the woods. Beautiful, haunting woods and that was the thing that made Dan and I so connected. We both loved the woods so much. It was so peaceful to us.

But Phil WAS right! Dan what HAS happened to you? Why won't you open up like you used to. His eyes were dark. every time I saw him it was like something was possessing him. They weren't the sweet brown eyes I used to admire every time I looked at him. He also acted so quiet like he was hiding something. Something I needed to know. The way he would look at me. That scared me the most. He looked at me like I was something to eat. Like I should run away from him as quick as possible.

I was at the gate where the playground was. The gate was already opened. He was here but I didn't know where. I felt the worst emotion. Fear. Fear of not seeing Dan. Fearing that this evil within would show it's self and take me. Perhaps kill me. Fear of losing my friend.

I walked up to the swing set. Sitting on one of the swings. I looked down at my boots and played with the red mulch. Until all of a sudden I felt someone grab my arm. I could feel my heart beating. I felt like it was going to burst out of my chest. I turned my head quickly to see who the mysterious person was. He let go of my arm as I did so.

"Did I scare you a bit?" Dan said and laughed. His smile. The only thing that made me believe that he was okay and the way he acted earlier today never happened. Everything was alright.

Until I noticed something.