My Hallway

Prologue

______________________________________________________

Clear white walls. Not a single speck of dust or grime. Lights in cages hung intermittently from an arched ceiling. An endless woven carpet of gold flanked by strips of black on either side. Doors of white appear at every light. One to the right. One to the left. Knobs of gold protrude from the smooth white surfaces. Again the rectangular flow of white is interrupted by an infinitely smaller golden rectangle and a chain of black moving side to side. Side to Side. Side to Side.

And, no end in sight.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tirrrrrrrrrrr. Ding.

Disoriented steps rush down the hall, muffled by the thick golden carpet. A dull thud resounds and soon after a strangled scream.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tirrrrrrrrrrr. Ding.

The steps resume. This time more sure of themselves. A constant sound of heavy breathing blended into the background.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tirrrrrrrrrrr. Ding.

The light flickers off and on. Off and on. Off and on. And finally remains off as the steps cross the threshold in between the connected halls and the light in the one the steps enter flickers on. On. Off. On. Off. And finally just on. The breathing slows down to almost normal.

Ding.

The sound of an enormous amount of pressurized air being released is heard. A sort of anticipation thickens the sterile air. The steps quicken and as they fall under the cage of light, the door to the right vibrates. The vibrations increase and the door splinters. Cracks appear in the smooth surface and through them wisps of darkness rush forward, hungry. One catches a wrist and another an ankle.

Ding.

The door explodes inward and the steps are sucked into the dark as it overtakes that particular hallway.