Chapter 33-Home Is Where The Heart Is

Nothing odd or exceptionally noteworthy happened to us for a while. The only news that seemed to circulate through our apartment was whenever Aaron and I would report to Cole Parris. It was nice having a good job. A real job. Even though I still worked at the salon, talking to Mr. Parris and working beside Aaron was—honestly—amazing.

Aaron and Pierce seemed to relax more after a few weeks. Even with their odd "probation," Aaron would occasionally ride his motorcycle—staying well in the speed limit. The two of us went a few more adventurous dates. Aaron managed to take me on a helicopter ride through the city. I was able to book us to go paddle boarding on the canal one day. Then on the weekend, the three of us went to the Everglades or took several boat trips out into the ocean. Pierce wanted to go deep sea fishing, which was a lot of fun if several tourist hadn't gotten seasick.

Overall, we were having fun again. It felt like nothing had happened and everything was back to normal. Even their attitudes changed. Pierce was a lot happier and Aaron wasn't nearly as tense as he had been. As for myself—I just loved the fact we were back in the usual rhythm of things.

"Parker," My mother said on the other line of the phone. "You need to be very careful with where you take James and Ashley."

"Mom—"

"I want you all to have fun but please be safe," She continued. "In fact why don't you just stay home and watch TV. What is it you kids say nowadays? Netflix and chill?"

"Mom," I shouted louder to get her attention. "We're all adults and we're going to have fun. I've been living here for months now. I know what I'm doing."

James and Ashley were coming to visit us for spring break. I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited. My group from school and work was going to combine with my brother and old friends. I was looking forward to seeing everyone interact and get to know each other. Most importantly, I was also ecstatic to see my brother and old best friend. Aaron and Pierce offered to rent out a beach house for all of us. Our group was relatively large compared to other adventures we had gone on. It included: Aaron, Pierce, Ashley, James, Kellie, Jackson, Victoria, and myself. Carlos and Olly weren't going to be able to make it because they had planned trips with their families a few months back. But between the eight of us, it was going to be incredible.

I made sure to ask Aaron and Pierce if they were allowed to book the beach house. They didn't admit it, but they were just as afraid of Phillip as I was. What we ended up doing was me using my card to book the beach house and the two of them paid me back in cash. I didn't bother asking why they used cash—I had grown accustomed to them paying with bills instead of cards.

After I hung up the phone with my mom, I texted James and Ashley. They were both just as enthusiastic to be staying with us in Miami for a few days before going to the beach house. I promised them we would hit up all the main points before spending our time at the beach. Ashley made it a priority to go to the clubs while James simply wanted to spend time by the water.

"Have fun at work Parker," Pierce called out as I headed through the door. I smiled to myself and started making my way to the parking garage.

The only reason I was still working at the salon was because of Victoria. It was the only time I really had a chance to see her. Making the extra side cash was also nice but talking to my friend was better. Victoria and I would spend time goofing around in the back of the salon. Occasionally, we would actually work. All the women at the salon got used to the both of us and our small little games.

"You know," Victoria said sweeping under one of the seats. I swirled around in my chair so that I was facing her. "I think I can transfer to your university next year."