|85| New Era for the Dream Team

Nicole

After we finished getting ourselves spiffed up and dressed in our professional all-black suits and dark shades we were always supposed to wear to special occasions and missions, we immediately made our way over to HQ.

Our timing couldn't have been better. There wasn't any traffic to slow us down and we got there just in time for seating.

As we walked down headquarters to head back to the memorial of our fallen members, we suddenly ran into Jackson.

"Nicole. Jaden. You made it!" he said with a welcoming smile. "I think I saw your names next to mine, come, I'll show you to your seats."

We followed him out to where there was a high leveled stage next to our huge memorial wall and then thousands of people from different parts of our association sitting in front of it, conversing with each other while they waited for the "meeting" to begin. Jackson showed us to our seats in the third row then he sat in a chair on the right of us.

"This 'meeting' looks much more important than any other meeting he's ever set up before," Jaden mumbled to me.

I nodded in agreement as I bounced Nicholas on my lap, "I told you, it's not a meeting. It's an announcement about his retirement. There wouldn't be any other reason for him to invite all these people."

"You're right. Plus, he did talk about retiring before, I just didn't think it'll be this soon."

I shrugged, not knowing the reason for that either. We never really talked about it and I have been meaning to ask him more about his decision before. He told me before that it was because he wanted to be here for family but my instincts told me that there was a deeper reason than that. I guess I'll wait to figure that out now.

Jackson leaned over and smiled at us, "Our little guy is getting big." he chuckled.

I nodded and kissed Nicholas' cheek, "And becoming a handful." I added. He should know a little about that too, he's visited us a few times to help babysit his godson every once in a while.

Jackson grinned then tapped Jaden on his shoulder so he could whisper something to him.

I narrowed my eyes as Jaden nodded and shook Jackson's hand like they had just arranged some type of bet.

"What was that about?" I asked when he smiled at me.

All he said was, "Nothing serious." then tickled Nicholas' cheek to get off subject.

I chuckled and shook my head, knowing I would find out soon enough. One thing I hate more than surprises are secrets...

"Ladies and gentlemen..." a woman suddenly spoke from the stage, behind a podium, causing everyone to quiet down and turn their attention to her.

"Thank you for joining us today for this special ceremony dedicated to all of you, the members of our United Secret Services..."

Ceremony?

"Each and every one of you sitting before me today knows that you do not put your lives on the line day after day just for the money or any rewards but today, today is the day we recognize you individually for the hard works and dedication you put into serving the country."

Ah... I see now...

I smirked at Jackson who smiled back and tapped his temple with his finger, letting me know that he remembered our last conversation at the memorial wall.

So he was a part of putting this whole thing together... Nice one.

The woman continued, "No member will leave here unrecognized. That goes for all of our heroes in front of me and our lost ones, who sadly can't be here to see this day... Please stand and remove your hats in respect for our fallen members."