Chapter Eighteen

(First game against the Royals.)
Ashton's P.O.V.-
I was walking out of my apartment and towards my car with my duffel bag. I pulled my car keys out of my bag and that's when I noticed the piece of white paper. It was small and folded up under my wiper. I walked over and took it out from under the wiper. I unfolded it and it read:
"Soon. Love always, TA."
I shoved it into my bag and got in the car, before heading off to work.
*At the Stadium*
I walked up into the dugout and threw my bag onto the bench. Carpenter was standing in the dugout drinking out of his water bottle. He closed the lid and looked at me.
"What's wrong with you?" He asked setting his bottle down.
I turned and faced him giving him a slight glare. "What do you think is wrong with me?" I snapped.
"Either someone took your animal crackers, someone cut you off, which is totally normal in this city, or you spilled your coffee." He walked over to me. "Which is it?"
"D, none of the above." I pulled the note out and handed it to him. "Found it on my car."
He read it and looked up at me. "So this guy is coming for you soon? This is just getting better and better."
"Yeah it is. And I just caught up on sleep."
"Hopefully, we can get this all straightened out." Matt said positively. "We better tell your dad about this, so he knows what's going on."
I only nodded and took the note from him. "Yeah, I know. Listen, I'm going to go tell him and you go do whatever it is you normally do."
I turned and then I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Ash," I turned and faced Matt. "this isn't easy on you, that much I know, but I'm here for you. The whole team is here for you. You know that, right?"
I nodded my head and gave him a small smile. "Yeah. Thanks Matt." I turned back around and went to go find my dad.
*After the game*
I stood next to my dad, like normal, as the game started. We were facing the Royals. I just stood there watching the game with my dad, which we were doing quite well. Nothing was abnormal about the game. We ended up winning, 4-0, which wasn't bad.
After the game, I had grabbed my bag and was walking to my car, like I normally do. I pulled my keys out as I made my way to the car. I looked up and stopped when I saw a guy just standing there.
"Hi Ashton." He said.
"Who are you?" I asked.
"I'm Ty Ashley. I'm your biggest fan." He stepped closer to me.
I froze. "You're the one who keeps leaving me all the notes." I said taking a step back.
"I also left you roses and chocolates at your hotel in Colorado. Did you like them?" He asked walking towards me.
"I..." He reached out and grabbed me by the hair.
"Did you like them?!" He demanded. He pulled my hair harder and I screamed. He loosened his grip on my hair. "I'm sorry. Did I hurt you?" He asked.
"Yeah." I hissed.
"I'm sorry. I don't want to hurt you. I love you." He then pulled on my hair harder. "I want you to love me!" He shouted. I screamed at how hard he was pulling on my hair.
"Let go of me!" I shouted.
I heard someone shout and then my hair was let go. I fell down and landed on my side. I hit my head on the concrete and then my vision got a little blurry. I heard some shouting and then I saw someone throwing punches. Once my vision cleared I saw a couple of the players pulling another player off of the guy. I touched my forehead and winced. The player they pulled off the guy, was Carpenter. He came over to me and helped me up.
"They're taking care of him." He touched my forehead and I winced again. "We need to get you to a doctor." He took hold of my hand and led me to his car.
*ER*
I was sitting in the ER with Matt. It was kind of awkward, but then again it typically was between the two of us. I had a napkin in my hand and I was occasionally putting it up to my head in order to get the blood off.
Matt was sitting in the chair next to the bed. He was twiddling his thumbs in his lap. It was completely silent in the room. I didn't know what to say to him.
"Thank you." I finally decided to say.
"For what?" He asked.
"For saving me."
"You're welcome, I guess."
We sat there in silence for a little and then I noticed his had was a little bloody. "You're hand."
"What? Oh," He looked down at it. "it's fine. Just some blood from that guy's face. Although I have a feeling it will be bruised tomorrow." He sat up in the chair.
"I think it might be bruised up a lot by tomorrow."
"Probably."
The doctor walked in and smiled at me. "Hello." He set a chart down on the table.
"Hi." I muttered.
"I take it you're Miss Matheny." I nodded. He turned and looked at Matt. "Are you the boyfriend, fiancé, or husband?"
"Neither. I'm just a friend of hers." Matt told him.
"Ah. Well let's look at your head here." And that's what he did.