17

Bilbo was the first to notice Náriel and Thorin making their way back to the camp. He had taken to trying to keep an eye out for Gandalf. No one else seemed wholly bothered by the wizard's disappearance, yet it niggled at Bilbo, he didn't quite like it. So as such, he was looking out for the familiar grey cloaked figure. Frowning lightly, he shuffled over to Balin. Looking quickly up at the two returning figures who were still making their way up the small hill, he looked to the older dwarf. "Say, Balin?"

"Yes, lad?" He looked up upon being addressed.

"What's...what's with them?" Bilbo asked curiously. He hadn't seen a change in attitude happen so quickly. Náriel for the most part had played ignorant to the unhappy glances which Thorin would send her way. Clearly there was something there, which Bilbo did not totally understand, yet now as they approached they seemed to be conversing lightly, as if everything was fine.

Balin laughed quietly, the laughter pulled Bilbo back to reality. Blinking several times, he looked back to the dwarf at his side. "That, my lad, is a long story." Bilbo frowned and fidgeted, it seemed that wasn't a good enough answer. Balin sighed and rolled his eyes. "They were close, once, a long time ago, before Erebor was taken over by Smaug."

Bilbo listened intently and nodded, "Close...close, close as in...?"

"Aye," Dwalin appeared all of a sudden and seemed rather curious of the hobbit's questions and general interest. Upon seeing him, Bilbo let out an awkward cough and put a finger to his chin in thought, he nodded and looked up at Dwalin. He remained unmoving and didn't say anymore, so Bilbo looked back to Balin. Balin just inclined his head and returned to warming his hands by the fire.

"Hm," smiling lightly yet awkwardly he glanced between the brothers and then shuffled away.

"Have you ate?" Náriel asked when they were passing.

"Me? Oh yes, yes I have." Bilbo answered while patting his sides as he returned to his watch post.

"Good, because I was about to say...good luck trying to get some food." She said while eyeing up the pot of food which was still being shared out. She had honestly lost count of the helpings each dwarf had had, even before leaving she'd lost count. Now she just had no idea.

Moments passed, it was becoming too much. Bilbo shuffled from foot to foot and turned and walked over to the campsite again. "It's been too long. He's been gone a while."

"Who?" Bofur answered half paying attention to him, most of his attention was on pouring a bowl of food.

"Gandalf," Bilbo said exasperated.

"Oh, well, he's a wizard, they do as they please, don't they?" Was Bofur's reply. "Here," Bilbo turned slowly and looked back to the dwarf. "Take these to Fíli and Kíli," with that being said two bowls were put into his hands. With a small sigh, Bilbo turned and shuffled off towards where the brothers were.

The distant sounds of the campsite soon dwindled and what replaced it was the quiet chirping of crickets. Passing the grazing horses, Bilbo soon found Fíli and Kíli, standing looking rather bemused. Bilbo stopped in between them and held the bowls of food out to them. When they didn't seem to register him, or the smell of the food, he looked from one brother to the other. "What's the matter?" He questioned simply.

Kíli inhaled deeply, "We're supposed to be looking after them," he said referring to their steeds.

"Only there seems to be a slight, minor problem." Fíli said while slowly looking to the hobbit in between them. "We had sixteen, but now there's only fourteen."

Taking to strolling briskly through the remaining horses, they looked them over. "Well that's not good, that's really not good." Bilbo said while trailing after Kíli, while still clutching onto the two bowls of food. Pulling to a stop, Bilbo sighed. "Shouldn't we tell Thorin?"