Chapter Twenty-three

After I'd composed myself, Alberta and I went next door to check on Artyom. He was pale, but the wound at his neck had been bandaged, and he would live. Elizaveta was still sitting at his bedside, holding his hand and weeping. Before Alberta and I came in, I'd worded her up on Elizaveta's battle-freeze, explaining how she'd completely frozen and outlined how her brother nearly died trying to get her into the car and away to safety.

"You have some nerve showing your face in here," Elizaveta growled furiously as soon as she saw me. "Artyom could have died because of you!"

"Excuse me?" I asked, genuinely perplexed. If I hadn't intervened, Artyom would have died while his sister stood there watching a Strigoi feast on his neck. I wasn't expecting a brass band and a key to the city, but a simple 'thanks' would have been nice!

"I want her charged!" she shouted to Alberta. "My brother nearly died because of that bitch!" she shrieked.

Alberta's perplexed eyes met mine. Neither of us knew what to make of this.

"Calm down Novice Vitsin," Alberta said calmly but with unmistakable authority. "If there's been a breach of Guardian protocol it will certainly be investigated. Everyone needs a good sleep, and we'll tend to our wounded. We'll look into everything further when the reports are written up."

"It's all her fault," Elizaveta said bitterly, giving me a scathing look. "Artyom wouldn't be in here if it wasn't for her!"

I canted my head, letting Alberta know I'd wait for her outside. I wracked my brain wondering why Elizaveta thought I was responsible for Artyom's injury.

Sure I'd ordered him to take his sister to the car, but it was the best option in the situation. I didn't think Elizaveta would have moved for anyone bar him, and even with the benefit of hindsight, I stuck by my decision.

Maybe she blamed me for not escorting them to the vehicle as I had with Stan and Mom? I doubted she'd been with it enough to notice me doing that, though. Besides, Stan was completely vulnerable when he'd been carrying Mom, so an escort had been necessary. Artyom had still been able to fight – and I needed to take over battling his Strigoi to give him a chance to get his sister away.

"Elizaveta wants to stay with her brother," Alberta said meeting me outside Artyom's room. "I'll have them bring in a bed for her. When she wakes, I'll ask the staff to let Meredith know. I'll task her with showing Novice Vitsin around while she's here."

"Ok," I mumbled. It wasn't like I was itching for the opportunity, but I was still perplexed by Elizaveta's reaction.

"Cafeteria is closed now there are no students and staff on campus, so all meals are in the Guardian's Lounge. You and the others are welcome there. In the meantime, you might want to go get cleaned up?"

Glancing down, my clothes were covered in blood, and torn in several places. Feeling weary as hell, I wanted a hot shower, followed by some fresh clothes and some cuddles with Dimitri.

"I think I'll do that," I agreed with a small smile. I followed Alberta out of the infirmary, stopping at the front desk to leave my cell number and asking for an update as soon as Mom was out from having her bone set, while Alberta issued her instructions for Artyom and Elizaveta.

I walked up the stairs to the third floor where the female Novices were housed. Far from full at the best of times, tonight only Meredith and I would be sleeping here. It wasn't until I got half way down the hallway I remembered my keys were in my bag that I'd left in the SUV, but looking down the corridor, I saw my duffel sitting neatly beside my door.