Chapter 1

For those of you who don't know, I actually started this story last year and was supposed to be six chapters away from being completed. But I'm rewriting almost all of it and the chapters I'm posting now is the revised manuscript.

To my old readers, I'm sorry if I'd happen to remove some of your favorite lines or scenes and even changed the names. I don't expect you to like this new version, but I'm not exactly forcing you to read this again.

Though if you are reading this, thank you and enjoy! :)

*cover created by meha-k

----------

Chapter 01: What The Fuck Happened?

Only when I finally settled myself at a corner did I realize that I was stupid for actually coming to this dance.

I was completely out of place.

Like an ugly duckling being surrounded by beautiful swans, I felt like an outcast.

But if I didn't want to lose my scholarship, I knew I had to come, so I took a deep breath and pretended I was invisible.

"It's not like somebody cares anyway," I murmured to myself.

I let my eyes sweep over the girls around as they talked and bragged about where they got their elegant outfits for the night---as if they were in a competition on who was wearing the most expensive dress.

I bit back a curse.

Tugging my black skirt a little lower, I checked if my white top was properly tucked into it. As much as I wanted to exert more effort, I didn't have a dress that would make me look like a princess so I settled on whatever I've got in my closet.

Still, I figured I could manage.

I always had.

"Aren't we the life of the party?"

I nearly gasped upon suddenly hearing that voice, quickly looking up to see who it was.

Unfairly straight teeth, unruly blonde hair, bright blue eyes, and the confidence of someone who knew exactly how well his features looked together.

Trevor Austin.

"I'm not really good at parties," I said when I recovered, putting on a casual smile even though I was still trying to figure out why he approached me.

Did he need something from me?

Or, was he feeling sorry for me because I was all alone with no one to talk to?

Well, whichever it was, it didn't really matter. All I knew was that I was starting to draw a lot of attention because of him.

Crap.

Trevor took another step closer to me and, as though he didn't need to think about it twice, placed an arm around my shoulder. "I'll keep you company."

I stared at him, wide-eyed and stunned. "No, you don't have to. I'm okay."

With a sigh, he retracted his arm then reached for a drink from the waiter who passed by. "Then at least have a drink," he told me, "Live a little."

I didn't know which surprised me more: the fact that he was being nice to me all of a sudden, or the way his smile had taken away all my will to resist.

"Fine, but just this one, okay?"

Although I said that, I ended up drinking too much. This was the first time I ever drank with somebody and yet actually enjoyed their company. Given, I wasn't really that much of a drinker, but if you have a father who drinks alcohol every after meal on a daily basis, drinking a cup with him would only seem normal. Trust me, every gulp was awful. But I had to force myself if I didn't want to end up with a nice black eye.