Chapter 20

I was wearing my Frank Lero shirt today and my sociology teacher thought frank was from taking back Sunday

~~

The door opened and I looked at my dad and Mikey.

"We need to sneak out," my dad said quietly.

Mikey grabbed a wheelchair and helped me put the still unconscious Frank into it. It was dark out, probably near midnight. We got into a van and I quickly grabbed one of the blankets, covering Frank with it.

I cried quietly, snuggling up to his side. The others were all silent as they drove. Frank stirred awake, looking around in panic as he instinctively reached for the gun in the back of his jeans, which wasn't there because he was still in a hospital gown.

"Frankie, Frankie, calm down," I whispered.

He relaxed a bit, furrowing his eyebrows as he looked over at me. At least it seems like he had his memory back.

"Y-you called them?" Frank asked, looking at my dad and brother suspiciously.

"We left the money back at the bakery where you had a heart attack, we have no other option," I said.

Frank looked sort of distant for a moment.

"I-I had a heart attack," he mumbled. "I died. I-I was actually completely dead."

My lip quivered as I nodded.

"Jamia was there," he whispered. "Sh-she was happy that I found someone who made me so happy."

I hugged him tight and he kissed the top of my head.

"Dad, we need food," I said. "We haven't eaten in days, we're starving."

"We'll pull over somewhere," my dad said.

I nodded, wiping my eyes.

"I got you a gift, Frankie," I said.

I handed him the bear and he smiled.

"How'd you get this?" He asked.

I showed him my puppy dog face and he sighed.

"Well, I guess it doesn't only work on me," he mumbled.

I giggled and nodded and he wrapped an arm around my shoulders. We got food and I smiled. The two of us ate and snuggled up in the backseat of the warm car until we fell asleep.

"We're at the border," my dad announced, waking us both up.

I yawned, stretching my arms.

"I've got your birth certificate, Gee," my dad said.

I felt my blood run cold.

"What about Frank?" I asked. "Y-you don't have his passport?"

"That's his own damn problem," my dad said.

"Pull the car over," I stated.

"He can get out," my dad said. "He won't make it to the States anyways."

"No, I--"

"Gee, it's okay, I'll find another way home," Frank said softly. "You get home first and get the house ready, yeah?"

I shook my head, clutching onto his arm.

"I love you, baby," Frank whispered.

Frank opened the door and stepped out but I quickly followed.

"Get back in the car," my dad said.

"It's okay," Frank whispered. "Get somewhere safe."

I shook my head as I looked at him. Frank sat me in the car, buckling me up.