Honing Skills And Finding Your Voice

This topic really applies to a wide range of content but I will try to keep it simple. The most obvious place to start is your English skills. Though I admit that we are all flawed, a lot of readers will stray from stories that are not worded well and hard to understand. To quote one of my college professors, "There is no such as a perfect writer." You must keep in mind, that with real published works the author normally proofreads the work three times, the editor checks it twice, and lastly a few beta readers will look it over to pick out any loose ideas and flaws.  

Make sure to proofread your work first. One thing I love about Wattpad is that it recommends using short chapters for stories.  This fact makes it so much easier to edit. Even if you are not that good at punctuation it makes a huge difference to make your story flows well and makes sense. I like to use Grammarly to catch some of the mistakes that my basic spell checker misses.

The most important thing to remember is to find your own voice in writing. You need the reader to fall in love with your writing and style. It needs to unique and stand out in the crowd. A great way to do this is to use figurative language and "smiles". There are many ways a person can do this. My English teacher does this by adding in elements of "Gullah" in the dialogue of her works. She feels this adds character and charm to the work and helps it stand out.

 I have been told that what stands out the most in my work is the wide range of vocabulary and the excitement of never knowing what will happen next. Many readers have complimented me on my writing style and beg for more updates and new stories.