Chapter 12: Weitere Probleme

• Dedicated to Craig Mabbit <3

Chapter 12:

Emily's POV:

"Are you ok Camilla?" Cameron asked, as he abruptly stopped walking to stand in front of his younger sister with a concerned look on his pale face.

I noticed she was scratching viciously at her thin arm but didn't really think anything of it until Cameron stopped her.

"Mein Arm juckt und schmerzt wirklich," Camilla said softly, causing everybody to turn and look at her strangely. All our expressions appeared as though we were thinking the same exact thing: 'What the hell did she just say?'

"What?" Nick asked curiously, raising an eyebrow at the two strange siblings. Camilla ignored him though, and kept scratching intently at her thin, veiny arm. She was itching it so intensely, and I wondered again what she could've possibly said to Cameron.

"Warum denkst du, das ist?" Cameron asked, in the same, foreign language. It actually sounded like German, but I could only tell because of the distinct accent.

"What the heck are you guys saying?" Hayley asked, crossing her arms over her chest. Cameon and Camilla ignored her again and she scoffed at them, before closing her eyes and letting out a big, deep breath. 

"Is everything okay?" I asked in a nicer tone than my bold friend had used, and Cameron turned to face me, looking as though he was trying to mask his worried expression.

"She's fine," He said wearily, and I nodded before deciding to keep walking, although I wasn't entirely convinced.

Someone's stomach growled lowly with hunger, but we all unanimously ignored it, silently hoping that starvation wasn't going to become a bigger issue than it already was.

With everything else we had been through, hunger didn't seem like a top priority, although I was sure we were all suffering by now. I thought briefly about the Coney Island my friends and I frequented, and about the fluffy stack of chocolate chip pancakes that I always ordered.

My stomach growled lowly, but I ignored it seamlessly, realizing that it might've also been my belly that rumbled not even a minute prior.

We trudged on through the creepy house, jumping a mile at every little unexpected noise, but I assumed that like myself, no could help but feel a little on edge.

I glanced over at Cameron's thin figure as we walked, observing him in a different light after hearing him speak in a foreign tongue.

How much did we really know about Cameron and Camila? Practically nothing, and that was suddenly a little unnerving to me.

"Are we almost to this fucking room yet?" Tristen grumbled, getting ignored by Collin as he continued to glance around with a confused and weary expression.

"Getting warmer," A hushed voice said out of seemingly nowhere, not sounding familiar. Tristen and I appeared to be the only two who heard it, and we looked around us frantically but couldn't find the face behind the creepy, quiet voice.

"I think it's right around here; I'm telling you there was a chalk board with all our names on it," Collin muttered insistently, and we all walked on in cautious silence.

Anything could pop out at us in this eerie darkness, we'd learned that by now.

Anything.

Nick and his older brother peeked curiously into each room we passed, most of them turning out to be tattered and empty. I couldn't tell if that made me feel disappointed or relieved, but it was notably strange that nothing was currently bothering us.