14 | Max

"Google says Michigan doesn't give a shit if we film at the park."

"Well, that was easy," Max said.

"Yeah. Someone should tell all the ice cream places Michigan's view of things."

Nolan chuckled as he grabbed his phone. "I'll let Willow know," he said. After nearly tripping on his own feet, though, he decided it might be best to wait until they were inside Hole in One—an odd name for a bowling alley, but, according to Andy, there was a story behind it. A story he'd forgotten to reveal when he immediately became distracted by something else.

The bowling alley burst to life as Max opened the glass door. Music blared from overhead speakers, colliding with the sound of toppling pins, rolling bowling balls, and various shouts and laughter.

Max and Andy led Nolan over to the front desk, where a guy about their age was doling out bowling shoes to a group of girls. "Hey, how can I help you?" the guy asked when they reached the counter.

"Hi," Nolan said. "Could we speak to a manager, please?"

"We in trouble?"

"Tons," Andy said.

"No," Nolan said.

They guy went out back and returned with a lanky man wearing a baseball hat. "What can I do for you guys today?" he asked, leaning forward on the counter.

"We're filming a music video for a friend," Nolan said, "and we were wondering if it would be okay to film a couple scenes here."

"There any bloods and guts?"

Nolan's eyebrows creased. What? "No."

"Nudity?"

"No."

"Huge props?"

"No."

"Large production crew?"

"Just six of us, total. The video will be going on YouTube."

The manager nodded his head from side to side. "Shouldn't be a problem then. Just don't get anyone else in the shot if you can avoid it, and if you can't, have release forms ready. If you're filming at the lanes, you need to buy a game to gain access, just like everyone else. Sound good?"

The boys shared a glance. "Sounds good," they said in unison.

"Okay then. Lemme just get that in writing for you..."

Nolan reached for his backpack, where a folder of various release forms had been stored, but the manager was already tugging out a blank piece of printer paper. "What are your names?"

"Nolan Haynes."

"Maxwell James."

"Andrew Cane."

He nodded, scrawled a note in blue ink, and handed them the piece of paper. "There you go."

"Thank you."

When the manager had left and they'd stepped away from the front counter, Nolan looked at the note.

I give Nolan Haynes, Maxwell James, Andrew Cane, and their production crew permission to film at Hole in One, as long as they mind who's in the shot and buy a game or time for their required lane. Don't agree with me, Al? Shut up.

- Julian Hendrick

"Julian Hendrick is my new idol," Max said. "If I didn't love my dad so much, I'd ask him to adopt me."

They laughed.

"While we're here, did you want to hit the arcade?" Max asked.

They looked between each other. Nolan nodded. Why did he nod?