Reward and Punishment

(WANG DAO)

I woke up in my bed with Father and Nanny fussing over me. Changing my clothes and washing my dirty skin.

"Hua?" I asked sleepily.

"Sleeping." Father sat beside me and brush the hair away from my face. "You go back to sleep. You must be tired."

"Baba?"

"He will be back soon. Close your eyes, son," Father hummed again and I close my eyes to go back to sleep.

--------@-------

(CAPTAIN WANG)

It was past midnight before I got back from the military base inside the Imperial Walls to our estate.

I saw Dayu waiting in the living room for me.

"Mei and Jiang?" I asked before hugging him.

"I sent them home two hours ago. They wanted, well Captain Jiang wanted, to wait for you but I said you will talk to him tomorrow. Mei is easier to convince because ShuYin and Zhou Lin are in their estate."

"Ah," I nodded and sighed. "The twins?"

"Sleeping. They woke up an hour after Dao and I got home. Mei ordered food to be delivered to their rooms so they can have dinner and now they are asleep again. They must be tired," Dayu's eyes shone with tears. "I..."

"Shhh," I hugged him tighter. "They are safe. No need to be worried anymore. Let's also take a rest and let tomorrow take care of itself. We had enough of this day. Let's sleep, huh?" I wipe the tear that fell from his left eye.

Dayu sniffed and nodded. We walked to our bedroom after I left an instruction to a servant to make sure that the house is locked up properly.

In our room, Dayu helped me to wash and change my clothes before we lay together in our bed. But time passed and we both cannot sleep.

Dayu sighed, "Should we punish them? Dao didn't do anything wrong, though."

"You know him, he will want to share his sister's punishment." I said as I kiss and caress Dayu's hair.

"Should we let him share Hua's punishment?" Dayu asked.

I thought for some time. Then came up with a decision. "Let's tell the kids in the morning. For now, close your eyes, my heart. Rest."

"What if I have a nightmare? I think I will have a nightmare," Dayu's tone held fear.

"Then pray to Master Shu first. Think of him and let his teachings guide you to rest. You know you did well today, my heart. You saved our son. Stop worrying and settle your mind and emotions with that knowledge." I said.

Dayu took a deep breath and I watch as he close his eyes. I held him and close my eyes as well.

I don't know who fell asleep first, all I know is when I open my eyes again, the sun is up and Dayu is still sleeping beside me.

Morning has come.

And so are the consequences of what happened yesterday.

Dayu and I decided to have breakfast in our room. We ordered the twins' breakfast to be served in their respective rooms as well. Making sure to talk to Hua's nanny that her ward is not allowed out of her room until Dayu and I had given the order that she can go out.