22. Soon

Back to Hunter's POV :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"So a couple years ago…or maybe it was last year…well not last year like two weeks ago, I mean last year’s last year—”

“I get it.” I muttered.

She glanced at me, “Well…I’m not really sure why but work was really stressful. I had seven grey hairs from stressing over articles and deadlines and things, and I was also just so in the spotlight that it was really beating down on me you know? I had to be a certain way all the time and…it was…I don’t know.

"So anyway, I was really stressed and had so many articles and interviews and photo shoots and there was just no way I could do it all without help." She looked at her hands, "and I started taking these pills to keep me awake at night so I could get all my work done." What? “Then of course, like everyone that starts messing with drugs, I got really dependent in them. Like when sleep tried to catch up on me, I would take more pills with a cup of coffee. I slept an hour a night.

"But then my mom found out and you know how she is. I’ll be fifty and she’ll still be treating me like her little baby." She sighed, "I had to go to rehab for a while." My eyes widened. I never thought Hunter would even be within ten miles of rehab, let alone in it. Hunter always seemed so…good—like she couldn’t make a bad decision in her life. But here she is telling me out of nowhere about an awful decision she made.

"I kept it quiet from the press for obvious reasons. If you look it up people would just say I disappeared for a while—but…now you know what I really was doing." She looked down at Nerja. "I’m really ashamed of it. I got better quickly but it led to my heart being the way it is." She paused, looking thoughtful for a moment. "So that means it was two years ago…well three now."

I stared at her, trying to take in all the information. “I…don’t know what to say.” I admitted. Whatcan I say? It’s already over and done with, but I still had to fight my urge to tell her it’s going to be okay.

"You don’t have to say anything. I just wanted you to know." She ran a hand through her hair. "This trips about getting to know each other again right? What happened while we were apart? Well…that’s one of the things I went through."

"There’s more stuff like that?!"

"No, no." She shook her head quickly. "Mostly good things have happened."

"Tell me something good."

She thought for a second, “I have Beyoncé’s number!” My mouth fell open. From rehab to Beyoncé—seriousness to childlike excitement in no time at all.

"How?" I chuckled.

"Miley and I went to one of her concerts together, and the next day I tweeted about how good it was…then all of a sudden she calls me—I have no idea how she got my number—and is like ‘I definitely would’ve brought you backstage so I could meet you. I’ve always want to.’ And I died right there." I set into a fit of laughter listening to her fangirl.

"Has Beyoncé trumped Ellie?"

"Ellie and I are actually friends." She bragged. "I could text her right now."

"Don’t." I said pushing her hand away before she could reach her phone. "You’re with Niall right now. No texting other people." She rolled her eyes but leaned forward to kiss me. "Let’s make breakfast."

——

We laid out on the beach, for the millionth time today, even though the sun set a while ago and the only light was coming from the house. Why were we and The Fuzz still out here? I don’t know—why not?