★ | 008. isobel

Book: Locked Away
Chapter 8: Isobel
Word Count: 3812

"What are we doing here?" Xander questioned, looking around the halls of Mystic Falls High

"What are we doing here?" Xander questioned, looking around the halls of Mystic Falls High. It intrigued him. He would love to go to school and learn all knew things. Damon told him that you finished school when you were eighteen - nineteen. Xander was twenty though he didn't see why he still couldn't go. They could always just compel the school to let him enrol. Damon wasn't to fond of the idea though, saying he needed more time to adjust to society.

"Not sure. Alaric asked us to come." Damon said, just as they reached the outside of the classroom before walking inside, where Alaric, Elena and Stefan were waiting.

"Damon, Xander, thanks for coming." Alaric greeted.

"Sorry we're late. My dog ate my uh... never mind." Damon paused as he looked around the room and at all the tense faces. "What's with all the furrowed brows?"

"I saw Isobel last night." Alaric blurted out, crossing his arms and looking towards the ground angrily. The thought of his ex wife putting him in a sour mood.

"Isobel? As in your mother is here? In town?" Xander asked Elena, seeing the girls crestfallen face made him frown. "Are you okay?"

Elena stood close to Stefan as she nodded and lied, "I'm fine."

"Did you ask her about Uncle John?" Damon asked Alaric. "Are they working together?"

"No."

"No they're not?"

"No, I didn't ask."

"What about the invention?"

"Didn't ask."

"Did she know about the tomb vampires?"

"I don't know."

Damon glared at the hunter in frustration. "Did words completely escape you?"

Alaric glared back and snapped, "no, I was a little too distracted by my dead vampire wife to ask any questions." While the two were talking, Xander had moved over to stand with Elena, squeezing her shoulder in comfort.

Damon rolled his eyes at Alaric's excuse and turned to Elena, "What did she want?"

Elena gulped, "She wants to see me, Damon."

"Alaric is supposed to arrange a meeting. We don't know why or what she wants." Stefan explained.

Xander sighed, "you don't have to see her if you don't want to. It's completely up to you." Damon looked between them and huffed, trying not to get annoyed.

Elena shrugged, "I don't really have a choice."

"You always have a choice Elena."