Chapter 36 - "Does it look like I'm joking?"

Muted sunlight fell through a layer of gray clouds and over the school as Carter walked towards the front entrance. On one side of the school white trucks were parked. Men in jumpsuits unloaded heavy speakers and large cylinders with electrical wires. Carter glanced their way but barely gave the scene a second thought.

Weariness hovered around her as unanswered questions sat heavy on her shoulders. Hands jammed into her pockets, she climbed the stairs. She pushed through the school doors and entered the fray of sounds that ricochetted off walls. She nudged and pivoted her way through the throngs of uniformed students towards her classroom.

As she walked down a hallway, her gazed landed on Link and Maddy. They leaned against a set of lockers. Their faces were inches apart as their hands brushed, slipped together and shifted again. Carter looked across and found Donovan. He was resting against the opposite wall, watching the tide of students. His hands were shoved into his pockets.

At the sight of him, Carter felt her shoulders inch downwards a fraction.

She navigated her way over to him and took the open spot beside him. His face was impassive but there was a rigidity in his posture that contradicted his assumed emotionless state.

"Hey," she said, glancing at him.

He gave a single nod, but nothing else, his lips a thin line. A group of sophomore girls passed by and looked at Donovan, their lips curved in bashful smiles. They whispered to each other and a second late a round of giggles swept over them. Donovan gave no evidence that he was aware of them, but Carter noticed a subtle tightening of his jaw. His face remained unchanged. She said nothing about it.

"How did it go with your brother this weekend?" she asked.

"Fine."

His voice was toneless, his mouth hardly moving. Carter looked at him but his expression was a blank slate, not a trace of his thoughts were revealed. She crossed her arms.

"It was nice meeting him," she said.

Donovan made no reply or any indication that he had even heard her. A frown formed on her forehead as she looked at him. Again, his features were unreadable. She opened her mouth, but a petite, redheaded girl appeared before them. Without her heels, Carter figured the girl wouldn't have come up even to Donovan's shoulder. Donovan seemed unfazed by the girl. She gave him a sweet smile.

"Hi Donovan," she said. "I don't know if you know this, but we have A.P. Lit together. I sit two seats over from you."

Carter's eyes flickered to Donovan. He said nothing and the blank mask held. Even though he made no sign he knew the girl, Carter didn't doubt he knew the girl's full name as well as a lot of other information she would think personal. The girl wasn't hindered by his silence. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and gave him another smile.

"Look," she said. "I don't know if you had a partner for the project due this Thursday, I thought I would just ask-"

"I have a partner," he said.

Though the words were said with very little inflection, Carter heard an undercurrent of irritation beneath them. The girl nodded, as a deep blush bloomed on her cheeks.

"Oh...okay," she said. "Well, if it doesn't work out...I'm free..."

When he said nothing, she hurried away, her heels clicking on the tile floor. Carter looked from the retreating, mortified girl to Donovan, whose jaw was clenched. She turned toward him and leaned on her shoulder.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

The bell rang stirring people from their thoughts and own worlds. Groups broke apart and dispersed.