Chapter 10: Fall Behind and Die Behind

Day One

  The armoured cars slowly disappeared into the obscurity of a haze in the wasteland. Runner watched them depart with any hope of ever seeing Rat town again. He stood still, his thumbs tucked beneath both shoulder straps of his backpack. He stole a glance at his group and found the boys and girls excited by the unfamiliar atmosphere of the wasteland.

“Why are you smiling?” he asked a girl beside him.

“Can’t you see, Runner, we are free to go wherever we want. Relax, is not like there is anyone to force us to do anything.”

Runner shook his head at her ignorance. “And where exactly will you go, eh, please tell me?”

Dope walked to Runner and tapped his shoulder, “I’m sure we can manage without you, Runner,” he said and then raised his voice, “why should we care about water shortage in the big city. Why should we care about earning our freedom and go back to the captivity of MegacityOne or even worse the slums. I am going to seek for a better life out there and anyone who wants to come is welcomed.”

“Anyone,” Dope said again.

A girl strode towards him and she was the first and last to join. It seemed the others favoured freedom. They wanted to earn that freedom and go back to their families or perhaps it was the chance of becoming a hero of the city that urged them away from Dope’s notions.

“Save it Dope,” Runner said, “you won’t make it half a day here alone.”

He turned around and began his trek on a journey he feared more than anything. Slim Jim followed quickly and caught up with him.

“Hey wait!” a girl shouted behind.

 Runner turned around and saw her running to reach him. Beside her was a large plump man, barely keeping up with the girl. He was so fat that it seemed he did more of strolling than running. His breasts flapped and slapped on his chest like a sumo wrestler.

“Hey,” the girl reached him, “Runner right? You mind if we tag along.”

Runner looked over her shoulder to catch a glimpse of her partner. The man was still struggling to make the distance. He knew for certain, that the man would only be a burden and slow him down or get them trapped trying to rescue him from a storm he couldn’t outrun, but he could not turn him away.

“Come on,” he said.

The girl gestured a hand shake and Runner received it. She was tall and wore a black cloak that covered half her dirty blonde hair. She didn’t look any more prepared than Runner, carrying a backpack and wore a black boot with a black knee guard.

“The name is Legion,” she said boldly, “and this is Big Edd,” she pointed at the plump man.

“What kind of name is Legion?” Runner asked.

She glanced at him and smiled, “what kind of name is Runner?”

“A fair question,” Slim Jim chimed in.

There was a brief episode of awkward silence and then she smiled again, “Ariel Waters, but they call me Legion. I’m from the 7th Colony or as you know it, Bad town.”

He moved his gaze away from the girl and noticed that the others had formed groups of their own. It was a very bad idea , something Old Max’s laws of an outlaw made clear that to survive in the wasteland, four hands are better than two. But how could he convince them when they saw the opportunity of freedom as a competition. He ignored them and turned to continue walking.