You think, that you'll survive. Death sings another tune in my mind.

Chapter eight 

Half a moon later....

"Creekwater, you can lead a patrol along the WindClan border. They are very unpredictable and sneaky, as we know," he said. "Take at least four warriors of your choice," Frostheart said. Creekwater nodded. Frostheart being deputy of ThunderClan was going great. Cats respected him greatly, and some even whisper that he has been keeping the Clan from collapsing, because Splashstar's grief had clouded his judgement. Frostheart had also encouraged Splashstar's beliefs that there is an assassin targeting his Clan, and that he shouldn't trust the other Clans. He also encouraged Splashstar to stay in his den more, and let Frostheart take over. He said he needed to protect himself from the assassin for his Clan's sake. StarClan, either I was persuasive or Splashstar was mouse-brained. Besides that, Frostheart and Sageweed together came up with another idea. Frostheart would spend time with Splashstar's daughters, Silverpaw and Quickpaw, so when Splashstar died they would be completely dependent on him.

"Soon they will need you like the forest needs rain," Sageweed had said when they met in the Dark Forest. The last thing was Frostheart had been spending lots of time with his new supporters. Coldrose was snappy, but strong. Sageweed said she reminded her of Mapleshade. Pebblepaw was quick to state her opinion and wasn't afraid to ask or talk to someone. She would comfort cats and talk to them and seemed to love to make friends. Pigeonpaw showed promising strength, and looked up to the strongest and smartest cat. Which will be me. Larktalon, he found out, was a good strategist and had an excellent memory. Frostheart was determined to win his full trust. Thrushfeather was easy to manipulate, and all he wanted was to be loyal to his leader. Shadeblossom was clever and sly, and reminded Frostheart of a stereotypical ShadowClan cat. 

Russetclaw, Lilysplash, Whiteclaw, Berryleaf, Cedarfur, and Seedpod had all sought him out at gatherings. He had asked Mistfeather if she was okay with him spending time with Coldrose, Larktalon, Thrushfeather, Shadeblossom, Pebblepaw and Pigeonpaw, but she said it was fine and she was happy he was making friends. Frostheart was glad she wasn't jealous. Silverpaw and Quickpaw were promising as well. Silverpaw was mischievous, but kind, and serious when needed to. Quickpaw was a quick learner, and seemed eager to prove herself. Frostheart felt like a leader already. He looked over at Mistfeather, who looked excited. She caught his eye and beckoned him over.

"What is it?" He purred.

"I'm expecting kits!" She blurted out. Frostheart pricked his ears with delight and purred.

"Thats great, Mistfeather! I'm so excited! I'm going to be a father!" Mistfeather let out a mrrow of happiness. "When are they coming?" He asked eagerly. Mistfeather flicked his shoulder with her tail.

"Not anytime soon, silly! Wishfeather just told me I was expecting!"

"Right," Frostheart chuckled. "Well, I've got work to do, but I'll be back at sun high so we can eat together."

******

It was nightfall, the forest was as dark as ever with a new moon in the sky. We need to think of a plan to take out Splashstar. He still has eight lives! More importantly, we need to do something about the "assassin." Fake it somehow.

Right, Frostheart thought, leaping through the forest, feeling cool leaves brush against his fur. He came to a sudden halt, nostrils flaring. WindClan! Well, Sageweed, looks like we might not have to fake it. He peered through a holly bush, spotting a fox-colored tom. He sniffed the air, then growled in frustration. Looking for the camp? Lost in the jumble of ThunderClan scents? Frostheart leaped in front of the tom with a hiss, sending him scrambling backwards in fright. "Who are you and what are you doing on ThunderClan territory?" He spat, letting his hackles rise. To his surprise, the young tom seemed to grow angry, and his fur bristled.