Chapter 25

Painter's elite had been a bust. The owner was reluctant to talk. Last thing he wanted to do was hand over employee records. Maddox was pretty resourceful trying to get him to cooperate. She mentioned a few discrepancies in the man's payroll, hinting that'd he'd cheated a few workings out of hard earned money.

After that, the owner was a little more forthcoming. Maddox had made an estimated guess on the payroll thing and it just happened to work. Reaves and her dug through the files and had Allen run the names. No one had any suspicious activity nor matched Charter's description. After they found nothing, the owner made some snide comments about wasting his time.

Maddox told him the police department would be paying him a visit tomorrow about the payroll discrepancies. The owner said some obscene language and a gesture. That Reaves would not repeat as a father.

After that, they headed to the next painting companies headquarters. Which in turn was actually the home of the owner. Reaves followed Maddox to the door as he noticed the children toys lying in the yard. A bike, frisbees, and a playhouse. Reaves remembered those days. Granted, Megan never got a actual hard to play in. It had always been one of the things she wanted. He just never got around to finding a house with one.

Maddox knocked on the door and Reaves sniffed as a foul stench caught his attention. It was a mixture of diaper powder and some unmentionables. He remembered it from when Megan was little. Such a fond memory too.

"NYPD! Open the door," Maddox said before adding. "Please."

Reaves waved the air away from his face and then he noticed the open window. As Maddox pounded on the door, Reaves snuck out and towards the open window. As he peeked through it, he saw a little baby lying on its changing table. He waved at it and started making faces.

It wasn't until the fist made contact with his cheek that he realized there was a man in there.

"Ow!" He yelled holding his nose.

"Reaves?" Maddox asked leaning away from the door.

"Get out of here you freak! I'll kill you next time!" The man yelled.

Maddox walked over to the window and held her badge up.

"NYPD, wanna answer some questions?" She asked.

Reaves rubbed his nose and Maddox gave him an annoyed look. He shrugged and the man waved them to the front door. Reaves followed Maddox, still holding his nose, which stung like crazy. The door opened and a six foot six, tall man stepped out. Reaves gulped and stopped rubbing his nose. The man folded his arms and stared Reaves down.

His eyes were terrifying enough, not to mention his expression. Maddox stepped up to him, unafraid, ultimately forcing Reaves to no longer act afraid. Despite the fact he nearly fell down the stairs because of not wanting to break eye contact.

"What do you people want? Do you know what time it is?" He asked.

"Mister Johansen?" Maddox said, after the man nodded she continued. "You run a painting company that's currently painting the doctor's office on fourteenth street?"

"Yeah, all our papers are up to date." He responded.

"We're looking for this man. His name's Mathew Charter? We suspect he works for you." Maddox explained showing him the photo.

The man looked at it and then he looked at Reaves.

"Yeah, he works for me. Has for the last two months. His name is John Smith though." Mister Johansen said.

Reaves scoffed and then chuckled. "Seriously? That's like the most common name in America and you didn't twice about-" Maddox gave him a look and he stopped. "That's not important."

"You got an address?" Maddox asked.

"Yeah, let me grab his information I have. In the meant time, keep Freako over there away from my daughter." Johansen said before stepping inside.

Reaves frowned at the name and then saw Maddox trying to hide a smirk. He sarcastically smiled at her and then returned his attention to the door. Johansen returned and handed Maddox a piece of paper.

"Here's everything I got. Now take your messed up friend with you." He said pointing at Reaves.

"For your information I have a daughter of my own." Reaves told him.

"You may wanna call social services while your at it!" He yelled to Maddox.

Reaves quit arguing and followed Maddox to the car. As he climbed in, he noticed Maddox smiling in her seat.

"What?" He asked, not amused.

"Nothing, just trying to remember what social services number was." She joked before starting the car.

Reaves scowled at her and she laughed it off. She handed him the piece of paper with Charter's-or uh Smith's address. It was then he realized, it was his apartment building.

"Maddox," He said looking away from the paper. "That's my apartment building's address, and the apartment is across the hall."

Maddox looked at him and then she pulled out her phone and started making calls. Reaves grabbed his and started calling Megan and Allison's numbers.

***

Smith gathered his gear and laid the bag currently in his hands on the ground. He dumped out the contents and left them on the floor. He saw his cleaning solution on the counter and he dumped it down the drain. Then he grabbed the gun case and carried it down to his car. It was then he heard the sirens coming. They were at least ten minutes away.

He ran up the stairs and went into the apartment. The room was clear, other than what he wanted to leave. Now all he had to do was seal the deal. He grabbed his gun and opened the door. Looking down the hallway to ensure no one was there, he ran to the opposing door. He knocked on it and hid the gun behind his back.

A young woman opened the door and looked at him. It was his daughter.

"Hi, my phone broke and I need to call my parents and tell em I'll be later for dinner." He said ensuring he kept the gun hidden.

"Uh, hang on a moment." She said as she began to close the door.

He shoved the door open, breaking the lock and knocking the girl to the ground. His sister, Allison, rose from the couch and screamed in fear at soon as she saw the gun. Then a man with shaved hair came out of the hallway.

"Everyone down on the ground, now. I don't want anyone to get hurt. But that all depends on you. Megan, Allison," He said before turning to the man he didn't recognize. "your not even supposed to be here. Right here, on the floor now. Any wrong moves and one of you gets a bullet."

They all laid down on the floor where he directed. The two girls sobbing and the man was looking around. A cop probably. Some kind of law enforcement. Smith heard a phone ringing and he walked over to it. It read Dad, and he assumed it was Mister Reaves himself.

He answered it and heard a panicking father speaking as fast as he could.

"Megan, I need you to lock the door and hide in the bathroom with Allison. Do not answer the door for anyone. Whatever you do do not open the door. The police are on their way-"

"You may wanna hurry." Smith said into the phone.

"Why are you doing this?" Reaves asked.

"It'll come out soon enough." Smith said in his calm voice.

He hung up and turned the phone off. He smiled at the hostages and then looked at the door. A smile slowly formed as he thought of his plan and then in his mind he whispered: Tick tock.