Chapter 7

Ricky continued to be confused as he was sent to his room so that the "big kids" could talk in private. We all sat on the couch, Jared keeping a bit of distance between him and Bianca. No one spoke. We were all too wrapped up in our own thoughts to utter a word. The most sensitive of the two egg-nog colored boys showed most of his anxiety by tapping his foot and even whimpering quietly whenever a loud noise disturbed their silence. Ricky shyly came into the room. No one commented on it as he sat on my lap. "So what do we need to do now," Mya asked. She twisted and braided Bianca's hair to keep herself preoccupied. "We should probably tell Ryan about it, if he doesn't already know about it," Jared said reasonably. Ricky turned on my lap with wide and confused eyes. "Why was mom in jail," he said sadly and quietly.

Just as Jared was going to answer him, Ryan came running into the house. Ryan looked a bit panicked. When he saw us, he sighed in relief. "Everyone is okay, right?" No one answered him except Ricky, "Ry Ry, Jared and Raleigh are scaring me. Something's wrong and they won't tell me what's going on!" Ryan's eyes glossed over and he walked over to the rest of us. Mya hugged him first then brought everyone else into the hug. Ricky squirmed his way out of the embrace and stood up on the couch. He pouted but remained quiet until I pulled him back into my arms. "Leigh!" He yelped. The touching moment was broken when Bianca complained about not being able to breath. We all let go of each other, but Ricky stayed with me.

"We are going to have to tell him...and talk to the police about witness protection or something."

"Isn't he too young to know?"

"No. The cops shouldn't get involved!"

"The less he knows the better."

Ryan silenced the others input and nodded for me to continue. "He deserves to know why his mom was put in prison. Besides if she finds him, he needs to know why he should run far to the police. And Ry...you know exactly why we all might need protection now that she is out." Ryan nodded again, "I will call Officer Miklet and see if he knows anything. We will have to be very careful of who we talk to and hang out with now, okay?" Everyone nodded and Ricky just looked at Ryan expectantly. "Ricky, we will tell you soon if it is really needed. Alright?" My little boy pouted. I ruffled his hair slightly to make him smile. He giggled and pushed my hand away from his head.

"Oh! Wait! I have more news,"Bianca proclaimed. "I think we've had our fill of news today, Bianca," Joshua said quietly. "No. No. No. It's good news, I promise." He looked at her warily and she responded with a bight and reassuring smile that lit up her whole face. When I saw her smile, my mood brightened. The whole room seemed to light up with her smile. Joshua nodded as a new look of peace took over his face. "Yay! My mom is going to have a baby!" Mya pounced on Bianca with an excited squeal. The boys gave their own versions of congratulations. I grabbed my best friend and raced up the stairs. Bianca laughed at my excitement. "They are having a little girl and my mom is having the baby soon," she smiled at me. "Really? When are your parents coming home? Do you think they will be back before or after the baby is born?" My questions were met with Bianca's shushing. "Yes, really. They will be here in a couple of weeks to set up the babies room. Mom and Dad are hopefully going to take leave from work to take care of her," she says with a soft smile.

"When is the baby due?"

"March twenty-fifth."

"That's seven weeks from today! How long have you known about your new sister," I said accusingly.

"Leigh, calm down. I just found out this morning."

"Oh my goodness...They didn't tell you before?!"

"Actually, they didn't tell me at all. Miss Ella told me."

"Your nanny told you? Seriously?"

"...yes?"

"..."

Bianca focused her attention on one of my new CD's when I turned my gaze on her. She put her head on my shoulder. I hummed 'Count On Me' by Bruno Mars. Bianca's head shot up and she began to sing the song. We both sang so long that our throats began to be sore from it. Our song choice went everywhere from R&B to Country and even sang a few oldies from the 80's too. Eventually Mya joined us and the boys had to drag us downstairs for dinner. Let's just say that the night was filled with insane song impressions, laughter and maybe a few wrestling matches in the middle of it all.

((School finals are starting along with some last minute volunteering at local school. After that is winter break, is anyone going anywhere for their break? Hasta luego y'all! And have a great break!))