|46|

trapped and alone

 the demons are at home

 resting inside

 the darkness of my mind

 emerging from the shadows

 as my walls start to unravel

~world_joy_

***

My nose is swollen. I touch it and wince at the tenderness. I had no mirror, but I could tell that with it came black eyes.

I can't bring myself to read any more of Atlas's journal.

Instead, I lay on the cot, staring at nothing as the darkness evokes my senses.

I don't move, even when the lights flicker back on.

"Lexie?"

I sit up when my real name is called.

Standing in the doorway is father.

I sit frozen as he looks at me and smiles.

"How are you doing?"

The question has me gasping in confusion.

"Dad...dad why did you do it?"

He looks at me in confusion before stepping further into the room. I slowly rise from the cot. I knew father was a skilled warrior, but something about my anger made him seem like an easier target than Cal.

Something about him made it seem probable in my mind, that I could get past him.

"Cal called me a couple weeks ago. I haven't heard from him in years," father muses over the fact before refocusing his attention back to me, "he told me the truth. That I had been tricked into letting Alpha Atlas take you. But Cal was your real mate."

A strangled noise comes out of my throat, "Dad, Cal's mate is Maya."

Dad shakes his head, "No Cal told me that was a mistake. He said Alpha Brandon locked him away and made you become the Luna of Alba Rosa so that he could gain the advantage over such a large pack."

I stare, slack-jawed at father.

"And you believed him?"

Father stares at me and smiles, "I knew it was strange that you were mated to an Alpha. I knew there was really no way it could be true."

A strangled sob leaves my throat from his words.

"B-b-but it is true," I whisper.

Father shakes his head and slowly backs away from me. I rise from the cot, stalking closer to him. He smiles as he watches my movement.

"No, see- Cal told me they had deluded you to think you were more than what you should be."

At the same time and without warning we both move- me running towards the door and father slamming it shut.

I hit the solid surface, crying out in pain when it makes contact with my face.

"Father!" I scream in pure raw pain, for him to hear, "He's lying! He's lying to you, please!"

I hear father on the other side. His laughter.

It didn't sound like him though.

I cry when I realized that the sound was eerily similar to Cal's own laughter. It sounded broken.

"I'm just protecting you, Lexie. I'm letting you be with your real mate."
"No," I whisper the word, letting my forehead fall onto the cold metal surface.

"Cal will fix you. He'll see those hands of yours and fix you."

Liquid ice runs down my veins when I process his words. I look down- taking in the pink winter gloves that still covered my hands.

"Everything will be okay Lexie," father whispers, his voice faint as he reassures me from the other side. 

*bracing myself for all the hate Lexie's father is about to receive*