New Kid

Vik kept his head down while he walked down the crowded corridor of the school.  His backpack filled to the max with all his binders, notebooks, and textbooks, the thin straps digging into his slim shoulders.  He stumbled as walked; due to him being short and weighing only 100 pounds, and the fact that he was basically being trampled while trying to walk to the guidance office.  

He was new.

He didn't have many friends at his old school, or the school before that, or the school before that...too engrossed with his studies.  His mother, a wonderful doctor, causing her to move about from town to town because of her miracle touch.  His father left when he was just  a child, so his mother did her best for Vik.  She was constantly on his back about his schoolwork, making him a sort of bubble child.  

Vik stumbled as he was mulled over by a tall, dark-skinned, boy with thick arms and a hard chest.  The boy said nothing as Vik was twisted the wrong way and his left kneecap to catch temporarily.  Vik yelped in pain as he straightened his leg upon instinct and braced himslef on a locker.  

Vik Shut his eyes tight in pain waiting for it to go away.  He didn't have his brace so he would have to be careful when walking for the rest of the day.  After the pain subsided, Vik carefully put weight on his leg and noticed that the hallway had cleared out. He would be able to find the guidence office in peace now.  

Vik limped his way to the front of the school (after being dropped off in the back), following the little plastic square arrows to the office.  He found it, and walked in the door that had GUIDANCE painted in big white letters on the door.  

Vik walked in and was immediately greeted by a woman at the desk.  He had her graying brown hair up in a tight bun, wearing a purple blazer and lavender skirt.  Her black glasses sat on her nose as she rubbed lotion on her wrinkled arms.  

"Good morning, you must be the new student,"  She says as she puts away her lotion, going to dig through her desk drawers.  

"Vikram Barn, yes?"  She clarifies.  Vik nodded his head politely with a small smile.  He took his hands to his backpack strap and picking them up off his shoulders to ease the pain slightly.  

"Here is your timetable,"  she hands Vik a piece of folded paper and she's swivels around in her leather desk chair to get to the phone.  She picks up the black plastic phone, sitting it on her shoulder whilest dialing a number.  

Vik looks at the folded paper with curiosity.  Slightly tilting his head, he unfolds the rectangle and looks at his timetable.  

A (Academic) Day

8:00am - 9:44am - English 3 H

9:50am - 11:27am - Government 3 H

11:32am - 1:07pm - Calculus 2 H 

1:07pm - 1:32pm - Lunch/ Study Hall/ Free Period

1:37pm - 3:15pm - Chemisty 3 H 

B (Elective) Day

8:00am - 9:44am - French 3 H

9:50am - 11:27am - Art 2 

11:32 am - 1:07pm - Psychology 

1:07pm - 1:32pm - Lunch/ Study Hall/ Free Period

1:37pm - 3:15pm - Piano 3 H

Vik was slightly confused.  Moments of his old school had different schedules for different days.  But before he could ask the woman behind the desk, she was talking rather obnoxiously on the phone. 

"Yes, send—"

"No just send Ethan down and I'll —"

"No kelen, just send down Mr.  Payne please—"

"Ah huh, ah, yep, thank you dear,"  the woman hangs up the phone with an exasperated sign, swirling back around to face Vik.  

"Okay, they are sending someone down who has an exact schedule to you to tour you around the school." The woman says.  Vik nods and folds his timetable back up. 

"Just take a seat at those benches please,"  the woman points over the desk at the red cushioned wooden benches behind Vik.  Vik doesn't reply as he shyly turns around to sit down.  He slides his backpack gently offf his shoulders and sit still it at his feet.  His right leg began to bounce anxiously while he waited.  

After a few minutes, the door opened to reveal a tall boy.  He was wearing a white t shirt with a black hoodie.  Black shorts and black and white Nike's.  He had reddish brown hair that was shaved in the sides and styled neatly into little waves on his head.  

"Ah, Mr. Payne,"  the woman says standing up to walk around the desk.  

"This is Vikram Barn.  He's new and the both of you share an exact schedule.  Would you please just show him around to his classes for a few days until he can catch on,"  the woman says.  

Mr. Payne nods with a "Yes ma'am" before turning to face Vik who was still sitting down.

The boy had a round face, pink cheeks and ocean eyes.  His hands were stuffed in the pockets of husband hoodie as he looked down at Vik.  Vik blinked once and stood up, bending down to pick up his backpack to sling over her shoulder, careful not to stumble do to his slight injury.  

"Vikram, this is Ethan, he will be showing you around, as we have already established,"  she smiles.  Vik nodded again, just wanting the awkward meeting to be over with.  Ethan offered his hand out to Vik.

"Nice to meet you,"  Etah says with a wide smile.  Vik smiles back smally, returning Ethan's handshake.  

"Now, go onto class.  I know English 3 may not always be an exciting course, but it's required by law, now get on,"  the woman says, shooing the 2 boy said out of the office.  Ethan chuckles, walking out the door.  Vik follwed him closely behind.

As they stepped out into the hallway and began to walk to class, Etha turned to Vik.

"Vikram?"  Ethan asks, Vik looks at Ethan questioningly.  "Do you go by a nickname or just Vikram or..."  

"Just Vik," Vik mumbles quietly.  

"Okay," Ethan says as he continues to walk.  After a few moments of awkward silence, Ethan pipes up again.

"Are you a Junior Vik?" He asks.  Vik shakes his heads, looking up at Ethan.

"Sophomore," Vik has bluntly.  Ethan's eyes widened.  

"If our time tables are exact, that means your taking Junior/Senior level classes!"  Ethan exclaims.  Vik just nods, he was waiting for Ethan to call him a nerd, but he didn't.

"Dude that's amazing.  Your like super smart,"  Ethan cheers, patting Vik on the back.

"Nice man,"  Ethan continues. "I wish I was able to do that kind of stuff to be honest, that'd be rad,"  Ethan says.  Vik blushes slightly and smiles.  It was a nice change from being called a nerd all the time at his old schools.  

Ethan stopped walking at a door, just off from the main hallway.  Ethan jiggles the handle noticing it as locked before knocking a few times.  Shortly after the door is answered and an older woman with raven hair and coal black eyes answered the door.  

She let in Ethan and Vik and stops Cik at the front of the class.

"You must be our new student, Victor?"  The teacher guesses before walking over to her desk to check for his actual name.

"Vikram,"  She corrects herself finding the correct name in her rollbook.  

"I go by Vik,"  Vik says quietly.  The teacher nods her head, walking back to Vik.  

"I'm Miss. Davis, please take a seat."  She says, gesturing her arm out to the full class.  Vik glances back to an empty seat behind Ethan in the back.  He puts his head down again after s he walks to the chooser seat, ignoring the glanses begging passed at him by other students in the class.  

Vik took his backpack off, setting it down by his seat and situating himself in his desk.