5: Have My Back

The alarm woke Arianna, in the middle of the night. She had finally made it to sleep and now there was a mission. Jace was the first person she saw in the hall, he was still pulling on his leather jacket and clipping another Sereph blade to his belt.

"You're coming." It didn't sound like a question, but Jace did sound surprised.

Arianna nodded, "I'm here, so why not." She said, then followed him down the hall. Jace lead the way down the hall. Both of them silent, moving as fast as they could walk.

The two of them met the rest of the team. In the hall near the the kitchen. It was probably their team room. Alec stood by the board, waiting for everyone. His face was hard while he looked to where Arianna and Jace walked in. Alec looked at the two of them. His brow was furrowed.

"Oh you're not going." Alec practically growled. Arianna narrowed her eyes at him, he didn't trust her. "You've been here less then 72 hours there is no way you are coming with us." His voice was laced with venom, no one seemed to argue with him. Arianna understood, they didn't trust her.

"Alec I-" Arianna tried not to be angry with him because she understood, and she still needed him to trust her, "If you just let me go with you I can prove to you that- that you can trust me." Arianna said. Jace smirked from behind her. Alec took a deep breath before leading everyone out the door of the room. Arianna followed with a smirk covering her face.

***

Arianna walked behind them, only slightly. They were a team and she wasn't part of their team. Jace turned back, looking at her before he slowed down. She didn't notice him, because she was to busy staring at the back of Alec's head, well glaring at the back of Alec's head.

"Arianna," Jace said softly, trying to keep Alec from hearing him, "About Alec, he's not very good at letting people in, he's trying to keep everyone safe." Jace explained, rubbing his hands together and watching Alec carefully from behind. Jace held in a laugh thinking of Alec words, Jace is in love with the idea of dying.

"Jace you don't have to apologize for him." Arianna said with a smile, she couldn't tell if it was fake or not though. "I get it, I'm the same way." Jace smirked, they both laughed for a second, before stopping when Alec sent a glare back at them. Alec glare lingered on Jace, as if to tell him not to be talking to Arianna.

When they came upon to the demon it was easy to identify, it was a Vetis demon. They're like small dragons. They are scaly, tall and gray, paired with ruby red eyes, serpentine arms and eel heads. Dumb things, always getting distracted by shiny things. Wether it's jewels or a simple spoon, it's all the same to them.

The demon was raiding a jewelry store, of course there was no one in sight because it was the middle of the night. That made it their job much easier, no need to wipe any mundanes brain.

Izzy still had her earrings in, they flashed brightly against the light from the telephone pole. The Vetis demon glanced up from the jewels that it was trying to scarf into its mouth. Again easily distracted.

The demon lunged at Izzy, crashing though the opposite window. The glass went flying and everyone covered their faces, it looked as if it was raining. Glass was everywhere, landing on the concrete in on loud crash. The Vetis demon barred its teeth at Izzy, moving closer as if it was stalking her.

Arianna's eyes flashed to Izzy from under her arm that she used to shield her eyes from the glass. It was an instinct, what she did next, Ari jumped from where she was landing in front of where Izzy stood, staring at the demon.

"What the hell are you doing?" Izzy asked trying to push around her, Ari pushed her back with a glare, then focusing on distracting the demon with the glare coming off her Sereph blade.

"Take your earrings out." Ari said loudly to Isabelle. Izzy narrowed her eyes, "Take your earrings out that's what the demon's chasing you for." She growled, then moving the demon down the street and away from everyone else.

Isabelle tore her earrings out and shoved them in the pocket of her pants. She couldn't believe that Arianna, who she hardly knew, had put herself between Izzy and a demon. It was incredibly brave and risky at that.

Arianna was still wavering her Sereph blade at the demon, teasing it as everyone watched her for a few moments. She tried to remain calm, but somehow she couldn't find it in her to be calm. Usually jumping in front of a demon was no big deal, because Sebastian was there to take down the demon for her. But with these people, she just didn't trust them, she didn't feel safe with them.

Jace watched Ariannas panicked face, he felt bad that she looked so panicked. Although he wasn't sure if that was just how she was or if she was actually scared. Jace then took both his Sereph blades from his belt before coming up behind the Vetis demon.

Arianna felt the tension in her shoulders release as the demon turned to smoke, then vanishing. Left in the smoke was Jace, putting his Sereph blades back into his belt. Arianna sighed, then nodded to Jace. Maybe they did have her back.

~~~~~~~
A/N
Word Count: 950