Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

11: Liar, Liar, Skirt On Fire

If only these walls could talk...the world would know just how hard it is, to tell the truth in a story in which everyone's a liar." 

 ~ Gregg Olsen 

~**~~**~

Jack ran his fingers through his hair for the millionth time that dayif he kept it up, he was probably going to go bald before week's end.

Stop it. Stop it, Jack.

Back in her makeshift laboratory, Dr. Coldwater had examined the bullets in depth.

But, in true Coldwater-fashion, there had been a catch. She wanted to compare the bullets from the Praxton crime scene to the same one pulled out of the widow's husband.

The only problem was that Emblem's case had been reassigned to Cold Cases and taken to the FBI.

That's where Jack came in. She wanted him to use his Commander status to request the file.

So here Jack was, in the parking lot of a strip mall, waiting for an agent to show up and make him regret his decisions.

Jack released his seat-belt, just in time to see an SUV, donned with government plates, pull next to his sedan.

It seemed that his informant had finally arrived. As the car rolled to a halt, Jack strode forward to meet the agent.

The door swung open and a tall dark-haired man exited. He was clothed in a black suit and wore dark sunglasses, casting an official 'Men in Black' fashion statement.

A grizzled beard adorned his face in a close embrace while a gun and badge took residence at his hip, hidden partially by the sway of his jacket.

When he saw Jack, he cracked a smile.

"Jack!"

"Will!" Jack greeted, with a similar smile stretching across his face.

Both of the men met in the middle to pull the other into an embrace. Jack clapped Will on the back firmly and took a step back.

Jack shook his head, grinning. "Wow, man, is it good to see you! You can't even imagine the day I've had so far. When I heard Cold Cases was sending an agent, I didn't think that it would be you! "

"Well, I saw who was requesting, so I pulled some strings and here I am. Are you gonna tell me what's going on?"

Jack shook his head and pointed to a coffee cart. "I'll fill you in, I just need a cup first."

Half an hour and four cups of joe later, Will sat back in his seat and blew out a puff of air. "Wow, you're joking. Are you really working with that doctor? I mean, she's smokin' but even I wouldn't risk it. You know, I heard she punched a guy so hard, he peed blood for a month."

I know. I was the guy.

Jack laughed, revealing his dazzling whites and nodded. "She certainly is a character. She never listens and always does what she wants. But to tell the truth, she's not dangerous; more like an annoying cat that keeps on coming back."

"Be careful with whom you get into bed, Jack; for work and for play." Will shook his head in disbelief but winked at Jack.

"But on a more serious note, you've gotta be careful with this case, Jack. I heard that something fishy was going on. Everyone at HQ was real hush-hush about it. I don't know specifics but the chatter is that Emblem was into some real hard stuff. "

Will handed him a stack of files and told him that the physical evidence would be delivered later.

"I'm serious, Jack. Watch your back."