Dates, Chickens, and Secrets

I have some character pictures coming. The first one is the main character, obviously. Heather.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked in the mirror for the umpteenth time and smoothed out my dress, wishing it would smooth out my stomach, too, which was tying itself into so many knots that it no longer looked like an internal organ but rather a pair of headphone that had been sent through the wash.

My dress was plain blue silk with little silver flowers embroidered around the neckline and the end of the short sleeves. There’s really nothing else to describe about it. It wasn’t anything fancy like Sally and her crew could afford. And, in all honesty, my mother had already worn it before me. But it looked cute and was the best I could find. Don’t go judging me; we weren’t so poor as to be unable to supply wardrobe, I just hate shopping and would rather spend my allowance on useful things than dresses. Also, Samuel had informed me that I would need to dress up for our date just two days ago which, with all the chores of Spring time when all the animals had conveniently started giving birth, was hardly the time for a day trip to the mall! Besides, Mom’s my size.

My normally straight-ish brown hair had been turned into a curled nightmare and then half of it put into a pony tail behind my head. Even though I hated the curling iron (the hours of pulling and infuriating heat really close to my neck driving me insane), I had to admit that Katherine knew what she was doing.

Okay, so I don’t dress up that much and so don’t know what else to describe. Who cares? It’s not like sheep expect me to look fancy when I feed them. But yes, I was wearing makeup. Don’t know what kind; Katherine helped me after putting Demon away for me. In all honesty, I’m kinda like a guy in that respect…I can tell you the diffenece between mascara and eye liner but the second you get into things like foundation and compacter I draw a blank. But, if you must know, I had some lip stick and blue eyeshadow on my eyes, and then my whole face was covered in so much powder I was sure I looked like a clown. But somehow, I didn’t. Makeup was Katherine’s thing. I did animals, she did fashion. And she was good at it.

I was beginning to wish the she was going on this date and not me. After all, she had put so much work into my appearance.

There was a reason for that; Samuel had decided to take me to La Forté, the most fancy restaurant in town so I had to dress the part.

I was beginning to hate this date more and more.

And what was I even supposed to do at this place? Usually at the pubs or bars in town we (me, my family, and my friends that is) just watch whatever’s on the TV, eating off each other’s plates with our hands, chat with whoever’s there and have a good time, but I got the feeling that’s not what you do at La Forté.

 It was the kind of place where you sat as a couple and ate off a plate with multiple forks that have complicated purposes, talk quietly with no one other than the person who brought you, and there’s nothing as uncultured as a football game being played over the bar. It was that kind of place. The kind of place that has an accent in its name.

A knock on the door literally made me jump and cry out in surprise.

“Oh, please,” Katherine laughed behind me, “You’d think he’d come here to kill you, not take you out.”

I turned to her, all my fears clear on my made-up face.

Her features softened as she took me in and she smiled, “It’ll be fine, Heather. He asked you out, remember?”

“But…”

“Go,” She gently pushed.

“But I…”