Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 28 | Finale

EVERYTHING, ALL AT once

I black out for what feels like an eternity, but must really only be a handful a seconds. For a brief, blinding moment, I'm transported out of the dark basement, and into the deepest of recesses in my brain, into my previously unrecoverable memory bank. And, like the persistent rushing of a waterfall, my memories come down on me all at once, hitting me square in the chest and making it hard to breathe. It feels like a remarkable phenomena, but at the same time it feels unceremonious.

I remember everything.

Growing up with Audrey, fighting over trivial things, like dolls and candy when we were little, and then things like boys and clothes when we were older. Seeking solace in her presence when we learned of our father's infidelity, and sharing her bitterness over our mother's new, misdirected anger. I remember laughing with her, sharing secrets in the latest hours of the night. I remember drifting apart as we grew older, our conversations quickly dissolving into screaming matches as all of us fumbled through our unresolved problems, and abandonment issues.

I remember my dad.

The way he was always the parent I was closest to, how he was my confidant, and best friend. Until he betrayed us all in the worst way, choosing a younger woman over the three of us, packing up and disappearing out of our lives without so much as a goodbye. And I remember how my heart is still broken every year on my birthday when all I receive from him is radio silence.

Images come flooding back, as if I'm recalling them one by one, and I remember brief flashes of different life stages; my drunken kiss with Parker in the middle of the night, the pounding bass-line of a distant party as our soundtrack. The night I ended up falling into bed with Dylan and being unable to rid myself of him for the next two years. My camaraderie with James, my curiosity about Mason, the dashing, taciturn tag-along to our little group. My ever-growing, and dangerous jealousy of Zoe Hendriks.

Then there are the more haunting memories. The horrible first night in the forest returns to me in flashes I'd rather not dwell on, bearing similarities to both the second time Zoe attacked me, and my current circumstances.

It's as though I'm coming back into my body after a long absence, finally awake and aware of everything. Momentarily, my skin feels like my own again, and it's a relief and a burden at the same time. I feel like I'm able to breathe after being starved for air for far too long.

And then I register what's just happened; the reason I blacked out in the first place.

I'm splayed out on my back, propped up by my elbows, flecks of blood that aren't my own staining my recently reclaimed skin. I can't tell if my heart has stopped altogether, or if it's simply moving too fast for me to register individual beats. My throat is dry, my palms sweaty, and I blink, dragging myself further away from the horrific scene with trembling hands, resisting the burning urge to vomit.

There's no need to check for a pulse.

The motionless girl lying a few feet away is clearly dead, the pungent smell of blood and self-slaughter filling the room.