Charming Criminal [33]

A/NSorry for all the updates but I'm just too excited to finish this fic already lol. Also I feel like Misa's a bit too smart in this chapter, so I'm sorry if she is really OOC ;-;
________________________

Light's P.O.V

"Are you cheating on me with [Y/N]?" Misa asked, pouting, as Light fumbled with his tie, undoing the knot and releasing the pressure off his neck. He popped open the top two buttons and loosened the cuffs of his shirt, then slouched back against his desk. He ignored her, hoping she would just leave him alone already. "Liiiiight~"

"No Misa," he snapped, feeling his temper flare up behind his eyes, a flash of red. He saw her lip wobble and forced himself to calm down, deflating his lungs with a deep breath. "Sorry, I have a lot on my mind right now."

"Hmph. But what are you going to do about her?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out," he said impatiently, massaging his temples. He couldn't remember being this stressed before, even with all the games L had played with him. He thought everything would work out fine. You were supposed to be a mere puppet, whose strings he could easily control. He was supposed to choose who died and who lived, he was the one playing the role of God. Not the other way around. How had he managed to let you manipulate him?

"I can't believe you told her about Kira though," Misa continued, completely oblivious to the turmoil in Light's head. "And you even killed the man who attacked her mum. Didn't you realise that-"

"No, I didn't!" He growled, standing up so suddenly it made Misa jump. "I made a mistake, okay? I messed up. Now I don't know how to fix it and you're not helping in the slightest!"

Rem stiffened behind her, resentment making the muscles in her jaw ripple, but she didn't intervene. Misa just pouted, her eyes glassy as she propped her hands on her hips. "Well, why don't you just kill her?"

Light's body went rigid. He slowly lowered himself back onto the desk, the words sticking on his tongue until he eventually choked them out. "I... I can't."

"Why not?" She whined, moving over to sit on the bed. She had a piece of blonde hair wrapped around her finger, twirling it absently. "You're planning on giving away your Death Note to someone else, aren't you? If she dies while we're both under surveillance, it'll be impossible to blame one of us!" she said.

Light shook his head, unconvinced. "Nobody else knows about [Y/N]'s connection to the case. There are no other possible suspects in the vicinity. Although impossible to prove, it would just convince L even more that I am, in fact, Kira," Light deliberated out loud.

Misa stuttered impatiently. "T-then make her kill herself? If you write in the Death Note that she acts all sad and distressed in the days before then-"

"Misa! I... I can't kill her," Light insisted, running his hand through his hair in dismay. "There has to be something else I can do."

"Do you really care about her so much that you're willing to let her risk your plans?"

She did have a point. Light didn't want to get rid of you so suddenly, but you had outgrown your usefulness. Now you were just an inconvenience. The longer he kept you alive, the more of a risk you became.