twenty-four;

____________________

I'm practically counting down the minutes until I can see Mabel again

I'm practically counting down the minutes until I can see Mabel again. It's not just because I miss her, even though I do, but rather because something seemed off with her on Christmas. I'm worried about her.

The thought of her Dad trying to find her makes me sick to my stomach.

What if he finds her? What will he do?

"You're awfully quiet," Lizzie says as she plops down next to me on the couch. Her hair has faded since Thanksgiving, and her dark roots have begun to show. "You hungover from last night or something?"

I am, but that's not the reason for my brooding.

"I've just got a lot on my plate right now," I answer cautiously.

"Hmm," she hums thoughtfully, her brown eyes narrowing. "Wanna talk about it?"

"I can't," I tell her truthfully. "It's not just about me."

"Does it have to do with Mabel?" When I don't answer, she takes it as a yes. "If you're having girl troubles you can come to me, Alex. I might be able to help you out, you know, give you a woman's perspective and all that shit."

I shake my head. "You're not a woman, Lizzie. You're my sister."

"I don't see the difference," she quips.

"I do," I grumble back irritably.

"Just keep out the gory details and I'll do my best to help," she continues, brushing her lavender colored hair behind her ear. She pulls her legs up onto the couch and crosses them, turning to face me.

"Gory details?" I can't help but roll my eyes at her. "What the hell does that mean?"

"Sex, Alex. I don't want to hear about my brother's dick—"

"Jesus Christ, Liz." I sit up straight, whirling towards her to shoot her a dirty look. "What the fuck?"

She shrugs innocently. "I'm just saying."