Building brick by brick

Nicopolis, the city of Victory was situated on the East of Alexandria. It was a new city and Octavian encouraged the locals to relocate and habitat this new city. Soon the newly founded city became the hub of new and ambitious building projects. Majority of these projects were inspired by the Roman architecture. 

On the other hand, Father left immediately after the Funeral rites were over. It felt as though the city walls were gradually but constantly contracting and suppressing my soul. I had inherited all of my mother's fortunes as per the local law. Father, who wanted an escape from his parental duties encouraged the idea of my independence. Once he left for Rome, he would frequently send the expanses, via ships, required for the maintenance of our properties.

Our home in Alexandria stood as a foreign entity, be it the Roman facade or planning that closely resembled the Villa; especially after the death of the Beloved Cleopatra, the Villa was looked upon with resentment by the locals. Once Octavian founded Nicopolis, I immediately shifted there. My family, from the mother's side, discouraged me greatly. The murderers of mother remained unknown, hence I presented my case before Octavian, he helped start the investigation.

"I can not live here anymore Aunt! The murderers of my mother are still out there! With all the old servants gone, it is hard for me to make both ends meet." I said to my Aunt, my mother's sister.

"Julia! You're a stubborn as your father! He should marry you off now! You will not remain young forever my child." Aunt said softly.

The sweetness of her voice was so bitter to my ears. I remembered only too clearly what she intended of me. Her son had more women in his bed than any brothel in town. I would never let that kind of man come and poison my life.

"Aunt! I need my time to mourn. The murderers of mother are still out there. Please don't insist, I must leave for my own safety!" I exclaimed. I turned to take my leave but heard her call me behind my back.

"You trust that Roman more than your own family! Blood is thicker than water! You will regret it!" she said that in very monotonous yet deadly voice.

I turned, "Aunt let this be my mistake then. I take ownership of my actions. My faults as well as achievements are all mine." I said strongly.

"I have seen how that man looks at you! By Gods! he is married and I have heard the tales of his proclaimed love for his wife. You are getting into a dangerous game girl!" Aunt said bitterly.

Her last words shocked me. I turned and quickly left the room. I needed to remain strong. I will not let my past linger onto my future. I shall built and design my new home in my new city. By nightfall I reached the city. That night Aunt's words lingered and kept ringing in my ears until I was too exhausted and fell into an uneasy sleep.

Days turned into weeks, and gradually I bought enough land to built and develop my property into an impressive state. There was very little time left for leisure. To our great surprise, Octavian and I hardly met since my arrival in the new city. We were both busy in our respective works. To assist me, he had arranged my meeting with Vitruvius. However, that meeting was delayed for several months.

The finally came for Octavian to leave, although his departure was to be a brief one, I feared that he will be a changed man when he comes back. He had pardoned Marc Antony's children and also shown mercy after the battle of Actium. His bitterness for Alexandria and disgust for it's people could not be lessened. 

During the last meetings, before his departure, I reminded him of the great mythical tales of Apollo, Neptune and Mars, the wisdom of Athena and many more, this later inspired him to build a sanctuary dedicated to Neptune and Mars. I monitored the construction process, however, much of these contributions were to be kept in the dark from the locals due to my vulnerable position in the society.

Octavian left and Augustus came. The Senate had not only honoured him with the title of Augustus but also agreed to  grant him the position of the consul in Senate. By 27 BC, Augustus controlled majority of the finances. When he returned to me as Augustus, he had finally learned to patient with power. He had returned home in high spirits.

Actia, was declared a sacred festival by Augustus. He introduced Grecian games to the local population, a contest we both witnessed and enjoyed immensely. 

Once I met Vitruvius, I showed him my land beside the lagoon, an excellent site for a temple. Secretly, I wished I could dedicate it to Augustus, the man who had founded this beautiful city and in doing so he had given me hope, a new life for fresh start.