One-Bunny Slippers

Rosalind

'How did I end up here?' I ask myself

I glance around me to see the poorly lit, almost empty parking lot of the store, which is illuminated by the flickering lamp post that I parked behind.

I walk briskly to the automatic doors; gladly accepting the blast of warm air that greets me when I walk through and happily getting away from the chilly nighttime air. I spot the item I came here for in the corner of the produce section. I have been craving peaches all day and finally decided to give into my want. Although, I guess it would have been a smarter decision to give in at a more reasonable hour of the day instead of two in the morning after binge-watching episodes of Full House.

Hugging my jacket tighter around me, I curse at myself for not putting on something warmer, or for at least not changing out of my unicorn pajama pants. I didn't even switch out my bunny slippers for normal shoes.

I reach the fruit stand just as a cute guy does. A chestnut mop of hair sits on his head, with chocolate eyes to match. He eyes my attire, and a smirk spreads across his face. I bow my head as blush rises to my cheeks from embarrassment because of my outfit. I extend my hand to the last peach, only to brush against his. My head snaps in his direction to lock eyes with his brown eyes. We have a silent battle between us.

"Rock, paper, scissors?" He suggests, his voice sounding sweeter than I would have imagined.
I nod as we let go of the peach together.

We shake our hands in unison until we pick our choices. I quickly show the paper sign while he does rock. I smile and do a happy hop before grabbing the peach from the stand.
"I win," I smile
He frowns, only to have it replaced shortly after with a grin. "Hey, look over there!" He says, dramatically pointing behind me. I turn my head sharply to see nothing behind me. He snatches the peach from my hands and tosses it between his.
"No take backs." He adds before I can say anything.
"Aww." I whine disappointedly.

He chuckles as I cross my arms over my chest.
"Canned peaches are on aisle three." He says smugly
I glare at him "If I had wanted canned peaches, whatever your name is," I start, but he cuts me off in the middle of my sentence.
"Clayton." He says
"What?" I ask annoyedly
"That's my name; Clayton." He explains
"Oh," I pause to get my train of thought back, "well, Clayton, if I had wanted canned peaches then I would have gotten them instead; however, I didn't. I wanted a fresh peach. That one to be exact." I say, pointing to the pink and orange fruit held within his hands.

He laughs to himself, causing more frustration to rise within me, and rocks back and forth on his heels.

Drawing in a breath, he looks up from the floor to me again, "I'm going to be honest, okay? I don't feel like waiting until I get home to eat this, but I don't want to get my car sticky with the juice. So, I'm going to buy paper towels and a plastic knife, then, I'm going to sit on that bench out there," He says, pointing to a bench just in front of a window, "and I'm going to eat this peach. Now, you are welcome to half of this if you wish, but you have to keep me company by joining me on the bench, deal?"

I glance to the bench as I weigh my options. It looks safe enough. My car is only a little ways away, it's in front of the store window so an employee would surely see if anything happens, I have my phone, and I really want this peach.

I roll my eyes and sigh. "Deal, but on one condition." I warn
"And what might that be?" He asks
"That you don't murder me in the store parking lot." I state firmly
He laughs again "Deal."