12 | NOT THE FIRST TIME |

warning; content referring to sexual assault and attempted sexual assault is discussed. please feel free to skip this chapter if those topics trigger anything and also message me if any of you need to talk.

FURIOUS GROWLS and snarls rumbled from the pair of vampires who had arrived to the rescue.

A blur of something pale and very fast unexpectedly yanked the man off of Rory, throwing him across the parking lot until a loud, sickening crunch was heard. Bella and Rory gasped at the terrifying display of inhuman strength and speed. Even in the dim lighting, Rory could see something dark liquid pooling from under the man's body.

"Jasper!" Edward hissed, a mixture of shock and anger twisted his angelic features as the scent of fresh blood reached him. The only thing holding him back from succumbing to the thirst was the wide-eyed brunette clutching onto her friend.

Jasper didn't seem to notice the blood despite having the worse control of his family members over his thirst; in that moment, his thoughts were focused on one thing and one thing only—protecting Rory.

The other frat boys stopped and stared in shock, looking from the vicious creature to the unmoving body of their friend. The tall figure looked almost demonic as he glowered at the men whose inebriated states had quickly sobered with the change in prey. His body was wired and ready to pounce, standing between Rory and the men defensively.

Jasper was absolutely frightening.

"What's wrong with him?"

"What the fuck?"

The sobering up frat boys were becoming more frightened by the second as Edward and Jasper glowered and growled at them until they backed off. Jasper didn't even think of using his abilities to control the crowd through emotions, his own fury blazed through all bit of sense. The scent of blood worsened but neither Jasper nor Edward made any move to succumb to the frenzy.

Snapping out from her panic attack, Rory's attention was drawn to the increasingly dire and dangerous situation growing around them. Two raging vampires against a group of drunken frat boys. Even she could smell the sharp metallic scent of blood in the air and by the look on Jasper's face, he was keenly aware of it as well.

"Get in the car," Edward gritted out, his eyes black with thirst and anger.

Bella tried to grab Rory, who only shook her head and gestured for Bella to get into the car. "Go!" Rory ordered, shoving her purse—miraculously she hadn't dropped it—that held her purchases into Bella's arm. Sensing Rory had a good reason she couldn't yet fathom, Bella followed suit and climbed into the passenger seat of Edward's Volvo.

"Rory," Edward snapped warningly. Rory glanced at him without moving her head.

"No. Not without making sure he's not going to lose control," Rory bit back, not moving but keeping her gaze trained on Jasper, who had refused to stop growling and hissing at the shocked men, his lips curled over his bared teeth. His body was tensed and coiled like a snake about to strike it's paralyzed prey. It was absolutely primal.

Rory surveyed her options. Edward was about to lose it. Bella was freaking out. Jasper was on the brink. Her biggest concern was Jasper. Rory knew she was the only one that could calm him down.

Edward's head snapped to her as he caught onto her thoughts in the chaos. "He'll kill you," he hissed.

Rory didn't question how Edward knew her plan. "No he won't," she retorted instead.