Chapter One

I sit up in bed and sigh, it isn't even close to morning but I know I cannot sleep anymore. I turn my head to glance at my owner. She's breathing slowly and restfully. I contemplate what she is dreaming and then give up and let my mind wander off onto other things. I tend to always think of the past, think of how lucky I am to have such a kind owner. My gratefulness comes from seeing other pets being used as slaves instead or ownerless pets wandering around at night looking for some scraps. My mind drifts back to how I got to my owner... 

The door slams open and as the sound echoes through the room my body shakes with it. He's been gambling again, I seem to always be the thing he likes to bet. He hasn't lost me in a bet yet so betting me makes him feel he will not fail. He walks toward me cursing under his breath. My old owner glances down at me and gestures for me to get up. I quickly get to my feet. He has never said a word directly to me since he's owned me so it's no surprise that he doesn't talk to me even now nor help me up off the ground. He guides me to the door and it opens up into another room, his living room, where there is a round table surrounded by numerous creatures. My new owner was sitting neatly in the farthest chair with a big grin on her face and her legs crossed with triumph. She is a snake, with mesmerizing eyes and a low seductive tone to her voice. I am pushed towards her and she nods her head to my old owner and then to me, gesturing me away, out the door and into my new life. I smile. She won me in a game, how clever. She told me as we made it back to her home that creatures nowadays only end up with pets by luck or with riches and if they are really lucky, by thievery. I think she is right, even though there is a rare amount of pets nowadays. 

I glance at her once more and continue thinking. She only came and gambled for me because her husband was gone for so long and her children were off doing bigger and better things. I am here to keep her company now. Her chest slowly rises and falls with every breath she takes and her tongue manages to slither out every now and then tasting the air. I watch her and manage to drift back to sleep.  

                                                                         * * *

I am poked awake by my owner's scaly smooth fingers and fidget around before officially waking up.  

"I made some breakfast for us to eat together and then I will move to the closet and pick out something for you to wear." She murmurs as a wide smile crosses her face. I definitely feel like a pet when she clothes me, but I don't mind. I rub my eyes and glance around the wide room filled with photos of her family and the cluttered night stand and dresser. Over her dresser hangs a mirror where I can spot my sleepy self.  

I jump out of the hover bed and stretch slowly as I pat down my night gown. I slide my feet lazily into the kitchen and notice some extra people in the room. Two men, one is a rhino, his horn shiny and sharp but his face is aged and he has a kind smile on his face as he flattens down his button down shirt. The other man is younger than the rhino, maybe as young as me, and he is also a pet. I look into his brown warm eyes and blush then become scattered. I realize that I am in my night gown and two men can see me! I quickly turn to Scyth, my owner, and stutter out words anxiously in a whisper.  

"S-Scyth, w-who are these p-p-people!" I blurt out.  

Scyth quickly calms me and drags me off into our room towards the walk in closet. She pushes me in and follows behind as she shuts the door behind us.  

"They are my guests Elsie, and I would like it if you would join breakfast with me and them. Harold has even brought his pet with him so you are not left out. It will be grand dear!" She hisses out softly but I can hear the excitement in her voice. We rarely have guests so I understand her ecstatic mood. 

I look down and then nod slowly willing to join the group, triggering her to skim through the piles and rows of clothes to find something for me to wear. I end up in a pair of brown fabric flats, casual flare jeans and a loose fitting navy blue t-shirt. She finds small pearl earrings to place in my ears and then ties my hair up into a messy pony tail creating a casual ensemble.  

I and Scyth step out into the kitchen and the men stand up politely pulling out our chairs for us as we walk closer. The other pet is the one to pull out my chair and I catch his eye before quickly averting my gaze and sitting into the seat. He is much taller than he seemed when sitting down but he definitely keeps to himself. Scyth automatically starts talking to Harold the rhino about the current matters of the town and what not. Not much is going on but I do know hear from their conversation that pets are increasing in demand. There have been breeding centers opened up in various places and there have been feuds and fights over pets, even people are out seeking the right pair to breed in order to get their desired pet. I sigh and clear my head by eating the scrambled eggs in front of me. I feel like I have eyes on me, but I know it is just the other pet.  

"Why don't you say hello to her Dominic?" Harold exclaims. I glance up from my food curiously and look at Harold and then at his pet who seems a bit nervous now. Scyth leans in between my view of the pet and pats his shoulder reassuringly.  

"Don't worry Dominic. I'm sure you will feel more relaxed after you get to know her more. That reminds me Harold, I have made sure that if I pass, Elsie goes to you. I'm hoping you don't mind nor changed your mind on me last second." Scyth glances to Harold for a reaction. Harold nods with a warm smile.  

"Having two pets wouldn't be a handful, I think it would actually be more helpful, but I'd might have to get an upgrade on my security since the news has been saying that the demand for pets and current breeding options have been causing others to do drastic things."  

What kind of drastic things? I try to keep my mind off the possibilities for my imagination can get carried away very quickly.  

                                                                         * * *

By the end of the day the pet never said anything, though he did listen very intently to every word said at the table, whether it was from me, Scyth or Harold, I guess he is just an intent listener. Harold and Dominic leave the house waving and walking towards their car. We watch them drive away before turning back into our house. I am smiling, content with how the day went and think of how doing that again wouldn't be so bad when my wrist is grabbed and I'm yanked out the door. I let out a squeaky scream and try grabbing for Scyth but I only grasp air.