0 4 | s t o r m

How He Fell has made it to the second stage of voting for the Readers Choice Awards. Please please please go vote for the book and show some love! I beg you!

Song of the chapter: Moondust by Jaymes Young

☙❦❧

MADDOX never liked the time ranging from dawn to evening. Too much happened. But his love for the night was immediately squashed as he pulled on the school doors.

They wouldn't budge open.

Staying late to read was a regret as of that moment. He was stuck in school, with no way out unless someone decided to come back. Looking around, he sighed before slumping down against the doors. Everything was silent, you could hear a pin drop if you wanted to.

Or maybe the skidding of shoes.

His head shot up as he took notice of Evelyn running down the hallway.

Reaching him, she stopped to take a couple of deep breaths before speaking, "What are you doing here?"

His response was quick and concise. "Library."

She nodded her head in understanding. He was a man of few words and she was thankful she understood his way of speech.

"Dance studio," she replied.

He turned his head away from her, also attempting to do the same with his slouched form. "I didn't ask," he spat.

She looked away, taking another deep breath. "How's the nose? Didn't really get a chance to ask the other day." She was attempting to make conversation. The quietness that surrounded them was awkward and rather uncomfortable. She felt it best to fill it in, but he didn't reply.

"So you like to read huh? Same. I love romances and mysteries. Thrillers are also in my interest. Have you read The Girl on the Train? That was fantastic! How about And Then There Were None? Agatha Christie truly is an icon. I don't really do historical novels at all. Fiction or not. But there's this one book that I found so beautiful. Salt to the Sea? It took place during the Holocaust and focused on these four characters. It was a good read. I'd definitely recomme—"

His sharp response cut her off.

"Shut up."

She was at loss for words. "I—I'm sorry wh—-what?"

Groaning, he whipped his head towards her direction. "We may be stuck together, but don't take that as an invitation to talk. I didn't sign up for this so I don't need your babbling."

She blindly nodded before sitting down against a wall some feet away from him. He looked back outside, watching tiny raindrops hit the ground. Hit the windows. Hit anything it could get its grip on.