"A Brief Stop"

After 34 hours had passed, Eliza was checked out of the Psych ward around five in the morning and then cautiously escorted by two guards through the main doors of the facility. 

While walking down the stairs directly to a waiting car, her face was very pale and emotionless, but she kept her head down while holding onto the one little bag of clothing she owned. She forced herself to keep silent and walk as straight as possible even when she began to feel herself fade out in a mild daze. 

The gentle rustle of the leaves in the trees danced with the distant sounds of the early birds chirping their motning songs. From the cold breeze, and the crisp smell of the morning dew on the grass, Eliza could tell that the sun was barely even over the horizon yet. The area around them was bathed in a pale gray light and it was clearly going to be a very dreary day. 

While standing outside the car and holding one of the back passenger doors open for her, Papa Emeritus could feel his heartbeat quicken as the mystifying young woman approached and he felt a slight sickness arise in his stomach. 

He quickly pushed the unfamiliar feelings aside and keep his composure however, because he knew that the Psych Ward did not know who he really was. The only reason he was able to take Eliza away from them was because they thought he was a high priest from some rich Catholic congregation overseas, and they assumed he would take Eliza off their hands and make her live in some kind of holy prison.

He reached out and politely took Eliza's bag from her and handed it to his companion, Martin, who stood nearby. He instructed Martin to put her bag in the trunk, and then  turned back to speak to the guards while they helped Eliza into the car. 

"Thank you kindly, gentlemen, I can take it from here." He bowed his head slightly at them and they nodded in acknowledgment before stepping back to allow him to shut the door. He went around and got into the back seat next to Eliza and Martin proceeded to drive them away slowly from the courtyard. 

The guards watched them drive down the old road until they were out of sight, and once the vehicle was gone, they breathed a sigh of relief and walked back into the horrid building. 

As soon as Papa could see that the car was out of sight from the Psych ward, he turned towards his companion and spoke. "Martin, there is something wrong with Eliza, I need you to pull over to that rest spot over there." 

Martin, sensing the urgency in his voice promptly drove the car into the direction of an out-of-the-way rest area that sat nestled among a large group of trees, and he pulled straight into the empty lot. 

Eliza was succumbing to a blackout and refused to acknowledge Papa as he demanded to know what the hell it was she swallowed before their departure. As soon as the car was parked fully, Papa got out and rushed over to the side where Eliza was sitting. He opened the door, and caught her in his arms as she came falling out, coughing and struggling to breathe. Martin hurriedly turned off the car and came out to assist. 

"Martin please grab a bottle of water and get the Ipecac from the first aid kit!" Papa said as he picked Eliza's limp body up and carried her into the largest bathroom of the small brick building.

After kicking the creaky metal door open, Papa whisked his jacket off with one arm and threw it onto the floor to keep Eliza from having to touch the dirty tile as he laid her down and then proceeded to kneel behind her in order to prop her head up against his chest. She coughed and wheezed from the fiery feeling in her lungs as Martin walked in through the open doorway and handed him the Ipecac and a bottled water.

Papa tilted Eliza's head back as she sat half-consciously propped against his shoulder fading in and out. He poured a small amount of the Ipecac syrup through her lips and covered her mouth with his hand so that she could not spit it out. She had no choice but to swallow it in her hazy state, and right after that, he made her take a bit of water as well.