Chapter Twelve : The Unwanted

Max sat with Neil beside him across the large desk in his father's office.

There was a prickling of unease at the back of his neck due to the heavy atmosphere of the room.

Robert finished talking on the phone to a client, and even before he could exhale a breath and look up at them, Max spoke up, "Why did you summon us with such urgency? Is there something to worry about?" Max asked with genuine concern seeing the blank look on his father's face.

Robert looked straight at Neil, not bothering to reply to Max's query. "Neil."

"Yes?" Neil had his elbows on the cold glass of the desk. Max could see him flinch lightly. Clearly, even that dear cousin of his could sense the tension.

"How do you feel about rising to a higher level in your career?"

Neil looked like he didn't know whether to run for the exit or bounce in joy. He gave an awkward side glance to Max before replying, "Ah... ecstatic?"

Robert nodded. "I've decided to make you the director of our headquarters in London. By next month all the paper works will be completed." Robert announced. "Do you have any objection to my decision?"

Neil's mouth fell open.

A frown immediately emerged on Max's forehead.

"But, dad," he objected with his heart beating fast at the shock of this sudden drone his father had just decided to drop. And he could tell this was not all, and there was more to come. "Didn't I affirm my plan about settling down in London? I thought I would be the director of our headquarters over there after working as an intern there for the last couple of years. I've even shown my efficiency by helping the attorneys win some of the most complicated cases, let alone all the cases I've won on my own." He paused to take in an agitated breath. "Are you planning to demote me, or am I being kicked out from the institution I'm apparently the heir of?"

His father shifted his gaze towards him with the kind of calmness that could only be a prelude to a vivacious storm. "No, son, kicking you out or demoting you are the last things on my mind. I'm retiring next month."

Max could feel a beginning of a panic attack, dreading it was heading toward where it absolutely shouldn't.

"And you'll be taking over in my place as the lead director and operate all of our headquarters from here in Asthel."

Max's hands curled into tight fists. "You're forcing me to stay here," he stated the obvious through gritted teeth. "But there's more, right? Why do I feel like you're not done bashing me? You wouldn't put a plan into action without having all threads of the net secured first."

"I wouldn't call it bashing, Max. It's a father trying to make his son settle down where he should and have a future with stability and happiness in it, and definitely not away from his family," Robert's tone was wistful. "You're walking blind, Max, and how can I not stop you when I can clearly see you're walking towards a drop-down to a hollow pit."

Now, those were some profound ideas his father had tracked down out of day dreams, it seemed.

Max let out an incredulous huff. "Come to the point, dad. What do you exactly want?"

"I want you to get married."

Max stilled. "Don't tell me you've chosen the bride as well?"

He was hoping it was just a joke.

"She's already agreed to the proposal," was Robert's instant response.

Max closed his eyes in trepidation.