Chapter 5

It had been about a week since the birth of Petalnose's kits. Ivykit had turned out to be mute, but Stonekit didn't care. He still liked the she-cat, and he had to admit, he was starting to fall in love with her. Ivykit was obviously the quietest of the litter, due to her inability to speak, but she was also the kindest.

            He had already begun to play with the kits. Blazekit and Riverkit seemed to go off on their own, but Stonekit had lots of fun with Cottonkit and Ivykit.

            The only bad part was that Petalnose had left the previous night to go after Longtail who had escaped to BloodClan. The kits had begun to worry, and Stonekit didn't know how to comfort them.

            "What if she doesn't come back?" Cottonkit asked.

            Ivykit nodded.

            "She will. She has to come back. She's your mother, right?" Stonekit didn't really agree with what he had said. His mother, with a ginger pelt (he had still remembered), had left him in SnowClan and never returned.

            "I guess," Cottonkit said. Ivykit nodded as well.

            Yowls came from the camp. As if on cue, Petalnose entered the camp. Stonekit was shocked by what he saw and had to turn away. The she-cat had been covered in blood with wounds covering her body.

            "MOMMY!" Riverkit yowled. The four kits ran out, but Stonekit had to stay inside. He didn't know how much it hurt to see a kit's mother die. Another thought hit Stonekit. What if his mother had died?

            Stonekit approached the camp and sat down next to Icestar who was yowling at Thorndapple. Petalnose's sister, Skycloud, was yowling too. Stonekit heard the whispers of Skycloud and Petalnose.

            It was obvious that Petalnose would not survive. Just one look at the wounds could tell you that they were fatal. Stonekit heard Petalnose calling for Longtail but her mate did not come. Thorndapple had disappeared. The murderer.

            Ivykit, Cottonkit, Blazekit, Riverkit, and Skycloud buried their noses into her fur. Suddenly, a tan cat with a long tail came bounding in. It was Longtail. He had just missed the last chance to see his mate.

            "PETALNOSE!" he screeched.

            Stonekit couldn't watch. Icestar had noticed, and she wrapped her tail around him. "Don't look," Icestar said. "It will only make you hurt more."

            Tears slid down Stonekit's face. How could they all be dealing with this? There was only one thing that Stonekit knew. There would be no more playing for awhile.

            The elders buried her body, leaving the cats to sit vigil. He heard Skycloud whispering a lullaby to the four kits. She must have promised to look after them. What a great sister.

            Stonekit was still curled up in Icestar's tail. "Can I sleep in your den tonight?" Stonekit asked Icestar. He had been sleeping in her den every other night now, but it had almost been constant.

            "Yes," Icestar said. "Come on," she said, waving her white tail.

            Stonekit followed after the old she-cat. He curled up right next to her.

            "Why does StarClan do that?" Stonekit asked.

            "Do what?" Icestar replied.

            "Make bad things happen. Petalnose didn't do anything wrong!" Stonekit said.

            "It isn't StarClan's fault," Icestar said. "It was Petalnose's destiny. She was born to die that way. We all have a destiny. Some could've been prevented..."

            "So it was my destiny to not have any parents?" Stonekit asked.

            Icestar nodded. "Sleep now, Stonekit. You'll tire yourself out with these thoughts."

            Icestar began to sleep, but Stonekit stayed awake, sickened at the sight of seeing Petalnose's body. He looked outside, seeing Skycloud with the four kits, Cloudfur, Longtail, Smokepaw, and Mintpaw standing next to the grave. A part of Stonekit wanted to stand there with him, but he was not close to Petalnose. He was only close to her kits.

            He remembered that day he had shown up in SnowClan. Stonekit had gasped when he saw Petalnose in front of him. A single tear slid down Stonekit's cheek and dropped onto the cold den floor.

            "Good-bye Petalnose," he whispered. "I hope you're happy."

            He closed his eyes and slept, almost crying himself to sleep.