Chapter 12 School Play Tryouts

Subject: Peyton Coleman

Time: 4:15pm

Location: West DC Middle School

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Ahem." Called Mr. Marzuno. "Peyton, you may begin."

I was standing on the stage of our large auditorium. All the lights were on me, and I couldn't see anyone in front of me, except Mr. Marzuno. He was a bald guy with a beard who taught seventh grade physics. I had him last year. and nearly failed his class. Sciece wasn't my strong suit. 

However, acting was.

I looked down at the script. I really didn't need to, since they were my own lines, but these lines were wrong.

I was trying out for my own part in the play. This was the scene of when us Colemans abruptly left the mansion at the Christmas party, two years ago. The person who wrote the script wrote it very wrong though. Once Lia got into that slap-fight with Justin, I grabbed her waist and tried pulling her away. I only said "Lia! Stop!" 

The script writer had it where was the one causing all the trouble. was the one that was slapping Justin, as Lia was trying to pull me away.

That clearly was very, very wrong. 

"Peyton, go." urged Mr. Marzuno.

"Oh, right." I said, snapping back to reality. "Justin, you're such an asshole!"

That was SO wrong. Lia would NEVER curse at ANYONE. Neither would I.

Mr. Marzuno called out the next line, which was Justin's "But my dear! I haven't done anything wrong! You are as pretty as a flower! Please get Peyton off of me!"

Nope, nope, nope, still wrong. 

"You're never going to marry my sister!" I cried, throwing an air-punch. I really wish I could punch someone though. 

"Stop!" yelled Mr. Marzuno. I stopped my air-punching and turned to look at him. 

"Yes?" I asked. 

"You're not doing this scene right." he said. "You're not playing her right."

"If you haven't noticed, sir, I am her."

"Yes, I know, but you're not acting the role the way it's supposed to be acted out."

I spread my arms and furrowed my eyebrows.

"Sorry Peyton." He said. "I just don't think you're good enough for the role."

"Well, maybe this role would be better if the script writer consulted me first?" Shoot, my sass was slipping out, but I couldn't control my mouth anymore. "This is clearly not what happened, Mr. Marzuno. I was there when it all happened! Ask any of my sisters! I'm trying out for my own freaking role, and you have got the nerve to tell me that my "impersonation" of myself  was WRONG?! Are you even kidding me right now?!"

Mr. Marzuno dropped his jaw. 

We stood there in silence for a couple of seconds. My arms were folded and I tapped my foot against the stage. 

"Peyton, leave, now." He said, steaming with anger.

"Gladly!" I cried, tossing my script behind me. "I can't wait to see who does a better impersonation of me on opening night, and besides! I wasn't the one that was slapping Justin, it was Lia!"