Ch.13

Five months in Dauntless.

"If you are ranked above the red line, you'll move onto the second stage of training. If you're below it, we'll waste no more time on you. Here are your rankings." The board came to life as Max finished his sentence.

I looked up, finding my name. I smiled wide, "Hell yeah!"

I was in first place, with Edward behind me and Peter in third. I looked for my friends names as well. Will was in seventh, Christina was in ninth, Tris in twentieth, and Al was twenty first. I was glad Tris and Al had made it, even though it was super close.

After the ceremony, we go back to the dorms and celebrate amongst each other. Just then, Eric and Four come into the room. Four is the first to speak, "Congratulations on passing the first half of training. Your reward is outside, on the loading dock. Come on, let's go."

We all got a little excited, wondering what it was. I was walking out with Christina, before I realized I left my jacket on my bed. "Hey, Chris? I forgot something. I'll meet you guys out there, okay?"

She nodded her head, and kept walking. By the time I had gotten my jacket and started to leave, no one else was in the room. I walked out the entrance, when an arm shot out, blocking my path. I didn't even jump. I frowned slightly, "Hey. What's wrong?"

Eric frowned at me. He looked concerned. "It's Max. He wants to meet with us."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had just left Max's office, and stepped out onto the loading dock. Everyone was unloading supplies and there were a handful of Amity and Erudite around. I saw Christina and went over.

I snorted, "So, this was our surprise?"

Chris rolled her eyes, "Yeah, but we're almost done now. Where the hell have you been anyways?"

I pretended to be annoyed, "Max wanted to have a word with me. Something about my habit of threatening people? I don't know. I wasn't listening."

She laughed and handed me a sack of grains. As I worked, I thought about what had really happened in Max's office.

Eric and I went in, expecting to get in trouble for our relationship, but instead we left relieved. It turns out Eric is the other leader that is in on Jeanine's plan. We were relieved that we didn't have to keep such a big secret from each other anymore. We were given a few updates. Some divergents had been found in Erudite, that's where Jeanine had checked into first- being the closest Faction to her. Jeanine was testing on them as we spoke. It would be a few more weeks before we could place our plan into action. Everything was according to plan...

I was snapped out of my thoughts when suddenly something shined in my eye. I looked over, and saw something behind a couple of crates. I didn't go- thinking nothing of it. That is, until I saw Tris heading over. I sat down the bag I had in my hand and quietly followed. I went around the opposite way she was. She came down the aisle that I was on the opposite end of. I was going to call out to her- when a hand shot out and grabbed her shoulder. I came up the other side of the row she had been pulled into- ready to fight. However when I looked, I saw Tris hugging an Abnegation woman. I whipped back around and put my back to the crates. I listened.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" I heard Tris ask.

I heard an older woman's voice. Tris's mother? "I knew they'd assign you here sooner or later. Look at you- God you're so strong!"

I could hear the concern in Tris's voice. "Mom, you can't be here."

Her mother sighed. "I know but you're in danger."