25 - In danger

The office, 02:22

The woman behind the unwavering gun is older than her, ten years at least, maybe fifteen. Dan concentrates on the irrelevant fact to keep the fear drumming in her chest in check. Her adversary is tall and gaunt, her dark hair collected in a prim bun. At ease in her formfitting business suit, she looks alert despite the late hour.

"Now, let's have a look at our sneaky trespassers." Her voice is even sharper in reality as it sounded through the transmitter. "You didn't think we'd leave our rooms unmonitored, did you? Move closer, but slow, and stay side by side. I want to see you both unobstructed at all times."

Out of options, they follow the orders of their captor. Ric's grip on Dan's hand tightens. The touch of his cold and clammy fingers, wet from sweat, adds to her distress instead of reassuring her. However, she presses her fingers around his in answer with as much confidence as she can muster.

The stranger guides them into the big office and motions them towards the seating area. The fact they stand in front of the boss herself sends an icy trickle down Dan's spine. In Ric's wake, she follows the instructions and sits down on the monstrous sofa, sinking deep into the soft upholstery. A disadvantageous position to start a fight. But then her weapon looks like a serious matter.

Ric frees his hand, and Dan immediately misses the comfort his touch gave her. But without his skin contact anchoring her, the next time shift will move her out of the line of fire. This will be her chance to escape—or come back with another surprise weapon. She glances up at the ceiling lights, but defying her wishes, they remain stable.

"Place your hands on your knees so I can see them." The boss retreats back to her desk without leaving them out of her sight for a moment. With her free hand, she reaches back and pushes an inlaid button, not needing to check where to find it. "Hall? Call off the search. I've nailed both our cuckoos in my office. Join me here and bring two security agents. Assign the rest of the team to Steff. Make them check if something got sabotaged down in the time lab."

"Roger, boss. We're on our way, there in a minute."

The boss lady finishes the call with a tightlipped smile, leaning against her desk, her weapon still covering the captives. Dan tries to breathe in a constant rhythm while analysing the situation. My student counsellor called it my personal strength, right? Time to make use of it.

Ric carries his precious Metec in his right trouser pocket. She might reach it with her left hand, but not while she stands under observation. Down in the lab, it seemed important to him the box was kept from discovery by their adversaries. If she can get hold of it, she'll take it back to the car again. But aside from this, it will be almost impossible to help him. Even if a time shift brings her out of here, she will reappear in this place only minutes later. Her car doesn't contain more potential weapons to launch a counter-attack.

Their captor waits patiently, gun in hand. Finally, a buzzer announces a new arrival. The boss operates the door opener without taking her eyes from her victims. Two lithe young men and a younger woman enter, all of them wearing a similar dark grey outfit and combat boots. Hall and his thugs carry weapons, and their stance and easy handling betray they know how to operate them.

From an entertaining action-adventure, this situation turned to dead serious in a few minutes. Dan's intestines knot into a painful lump. She landed in the hands of a criminal organisation. Why does Ric risk to confront these people without even bringing a weapon of his own?

"Hall, check them for weapons."

"Aye, ma'am." The speaker is tall and muscular, his tan face an unreadable mask. The three armed guards take up positions on strategic points of the room. The leader stands beside the boss while  addresses Ric, his voice strained. "Stand up, but no tricks. I've seen what you did to Ken."

Ric tries to rise without the use of his hands but falls back into the soft upholstery. After a second unsuccessful try, he uses his right hand to push himself upright. Dan realises what he plans in the last second and moves to get up herself.

Hall aims his weapon in her direction. "Not you, lady, you sit down and hang back. We take this one step at a time."

She lets herself fall into the seat, not needing her acting skills to show her fear. But her left hand covers now the small grey box Ric slipped out of his pocket. Now, she can only hope the transfer sets in soon.

In the meantime, the young woman steps up behind Ric to confiscate the wheel brace before searching him for other weapons. After patting down his arms and legs, she shakes her head. "Nothing, chief."

The leader of the trio studies his prisoner with a frown.

"Check his wrist, Tiana. I want to know if he carries a clan mark. Those two stupid morons in the underworld neglected to check."

The boss sends him a withering glance, and her voice is colder than in the previous conversations Dan witnessed. "Ken and Steff are responsible for the technical maintenance, not the security of the premises."

The security officer pales at the implications of this short statement. With a frown and lips pressed tight, he observes his young colleague pushing back Ric's left sleeve.

She gasps. "Look at this, chief."

With a few quick steps, Hall is at Tiana's side and grasps the wrist of his prisoner himself. He turns it so the boss can see the mark on the pale skin. Dan catches a glimpse of the silvery hourglass emblem.

Hall swears under his breath. "Chronos. The bastards found us."