Chapter 19- The Bond

Mara walked Marx backwards until he fell onto his bed. She grinned and sat on his lap, straddling his waist as they locked lips once more. Marx's hands started to make their way up Mara's thighs.  

They moved smoothly and with purpose, coming to rest on her hips. Mara's long hair falling around both of them as she leaned him back, taking control. 

Another low growl came from Marx's throat as he rolled over seizing control. He looked into her blue-green eyes and Mara could see the desire in there, pared with the reflection of her own burning wants. As he kissed her again, Mara's hands slid up the back of his shirt, her fingers running over the scar tissue that ran down the length of his back. 

Proof of the lengths Marx would go to make sure she was safe.

She pulled the shirt over his head and tossed it aside. Her hands continued to run over the smooth skin of his back, basking in the warm feeling she got wherever they touched. 

Mara's brain tried to take back its control of her body, and reluctantly she gave in to it. She pulled back from the string of kisses and looked up into Marx's eyes. The same slight glow was in there, mingling with the usual liquid brown. The thought of being able to bring his wolf so close to the surface excited Mara, the effects they had on each other was like nothing she had experienced. 

"We should stop." Mara whispered to him breathlessly. She hoped he couldn't hear how badly she didn't want listen to herself. "We're behaving like animals." 

"We are behaving like animals? You're the one that ripped my shirt off like a rabid cat." He said jokingly. 

"You're the one that was growling like a dog."

Marx gasped as if she had spoken an insult. "I resent that!" 

"You mean you resemble that." Mara said poking his chest. 

"Well, I guess I will just put my shirt back on." He said reaching around Mara to grab his shirt that head been tossed carelessly to the floor. 

His warm, bare skin touched Mara and it sent the same familiar sparks through her.

"You don't have to do that." 

He grinned slyly at her as he lay back again. "You like looking at my body don't you?"

Mara rolled her eyes and smacked Marx's chest.

"Yeah, but then you open your mouth and ruin it." She jested.

Marx stared at her open-mouthed. "Careful, you might make me think you're only into me for my body."

Mara laughed and shook her head. She liked the carefree banter with Marx. Mara moved closer to Marx, leaving no space between them. Marx bent his head down and kissed her forehead.

Mara smiled. "Oh. I met your mother the other day. Lovely woman." She said in a light tone.  Mara wasn't sure how Marx would take the news, especially after she would inevitably have to tell him about the train.

Marx frowned slightly and Mara was unable to read his face. She couldn't tell what he was hiding behind his carefully sculpted mask.

"How was that?" He asked stiffly.

"Interesting. It just made me wonder why you never told me about your family." 

"You have met them both now. Is it really a wonder?" The way Marx's tone had shifted from his earlier light-heartedness to what it was now was shocking. It was like a veil of darkness had been placed over him. Mara wondered if she could use the opportunity to see how Marx felt about the kingdom.