Chapter 11:I Was Either In Love With You Or Was A Pathological Liar

Chapter Eleven: I Was Either In Love With You Or Was A Pathological Liar

Tessa

Cole's up to something and so far I've come up with absolutely nothing trying to figure out what he's doing behind my back. It's not that he's sneaking around with another girl but he's definitely hiding something from me and it's driving me crazy. It started out after our spat over his horrible treatment of my client but in the days since I've accepted that he's sorry about it and that in future he's going to try and be more respecting of the people I choose to hang out with. So imagine my intrigue at the fact that it really does seem like he's up to no good because why would you really need to rock that particular boat?

I don't have a lot of time to think about Cole's escapades because I'm buried beneath a mountain of work but still a nagging voice tells me to watch for signs of him spiralling. Who even knows if he's found another single mother who needs protection from a violent ex? But our building is a relatively tame one and the residents are mostly white collar millennials or college students so I'd say we're safe and Cole hasn't found a new mission. But with the way he's been creeping around, trying to hide his phone from me and just being generally evasive there's no way he's not hiding something from me and that's what I tell Mattie at work the next day. Other than the fact that he gives really good advice, Mattie has also gotten to know Cole and me pretty well in the last few months and it feels nice talking to a person about this as opposed to talking to someone on the phone or via a screen.

He listens to me carefully as I go on and on about Cole's history of trying to do something good but it ending up backfiring on the both of us. He doesn't seem too concerned though, "Don't you think you're being a little paranoid Tessa? I think you're reading way too much into the situation."

I open my mouth to argue but at the moment Kevin walks to my cubicle and drops what I assume is a huge stack of manuscripts on my desk.

"I need the summaries on my desk by next week and if you find any good ones like you did with Wyatt McKinnon make sure you force me to read it okay?"

"You got it boss."

He gives me a parting nod and walks back into his office. Mattie whistles at the amount of manuscripts I need to go through because his boss doesn't trust him with this particular part of the job yet. He gets passed on the middle of the road manuscripts that have a little to no chance of being picked up and I know it gets him down to have to end so many peoples' dreams but I'm hoping his anal retentive boss, Donna sees how talented he is and how he's got a true eye for spotting a bestseller and gives him more responsibility.

"He expects you to go through all that in a week? That's going to be what a couple thousand pages?"

"He's trained me well. I can usually tell by the first ten chapters if Kevin is interested and there's no point summarising the ones he's going to bin anyway so that makes my work much easier."

"I'm jealous. Would it kill Donna to give me one good book? Just one?" He whines dramatically and face plants into his desk.

"And run the risk of you actually getting some credit? It would kill her."

"Want to trade editors?"

"That'll be a cold day in hell."

He sticks his tongue out and goes back to the GQ website because really, even though he complains about his lack of workload a lot times like these make me think he's a lucky bastard. I eye the pile on my desk and groan with the realisation that my I'm going to have to spend the entire weekend going over these and that's not what I wanted when my dad's here. Hopefully I'll make a significant dent in it before he gets here because if he really wants to talk about Danielle then I need to give him my full attention. It's about time he finds his forever happiness and get over all the battle scars mom left him