Chapter 11: Talk to Me

Joy

The rest of the week flew by fast. I found it harder and harder to be mad at Rashad because everyday he was doing one more thing sweeter than the other. From washing my hair in the shower unexpectedly to giving me a full body massage the next night to cleaning the house and cooking dinner, he was putting forth his best effort to fix us. If only his infidelity was our only issue.

"There you go daydreaming again," my girl Sonya said. She was the wife of Rashad's best friend, Todd Murphy, and we had been friends for years through their friendship.

"My bad, I have a lot on my mind." I admitted. The empathy I saw on her face let me know that Todd had told her everything. I knew she probably knew some of it because when I left for the week, Sonya and Todd had helped Rashad with the girls.

"I hate that you're going through this," she said.

"You and me both."

She set aside the dish she was working on over the stove and began to pour two glasses of white wine. We clinked our glasses and drank without saying anything else.

"If you need anything from me, please don't hesitate to ask," she said after placing her glass back on the counter.

"Thank you," I said placing my own empty glass down. There was now an awkwardness that settled in the room. "I'm going to check on the kids." I offered sliding off the stool.

"Okay, dinner should be almost ready by the time you get back."

I left the kitchen and walked down the hallway of their spacious two-story home. When I reached the steps, I looked to my left and saw Todd and Rashad absorbed in watching a football game. When it came to his Ravens, Rashad was a loyal fan, he didn't even notice me. I climbed the freshly waxed wooden steps until I reached their daughter Morgan's room. She was a few months older then Aylen and the girls all adored each other.

"Mommy!" Kiana sang throwing down the baby doll and running towards me. I scooped her up and rained kisses all over her tiny face. While Aylen looked like my twin, Kiana was the perfect combination of Rashad and I.

"Are you having fun?" I asked them all.

"Yea!" They each squealed.

"Good, in about ten minutes we should be ready to eat."

"Okay." They replied as one again.

I left their room and peeked my head in on their two sons, Lucas who was six and Carter who was seven. They were sitting on leather game chairs with their eyes focused on the tv screen playing a basketball game.

"Are you two doing okay in here?" I asked.

"Yes, ma'am," they said their eyes never moving from the screen.

"Your mom said dinner will be ready in a few minutes." I informed them.

"Okay," they said in unison.

I closed their door and walked towards the steps. Family pictures of all shapes and sizes lined the halls and I admired each one even though I had seen all of these pictures before.

When I came to a picture of my family, I paused. Kiana was still a baby in Rashad's arms and Aylen sat smiling between us. We looked so happy in the picture. I felt a sudden rush of emotion attack my body. I wanted to cry, I wanted to scream, I wanted to do something to expose the amount of pain I was in. Nothing about my perfect life felt real anymore and that crushed me.

It took a few minutes before I found the strength to inhale a deep breath. Once I had fully gathered my bearing, I walked down the steps. This time, Rashad noticed me. I forced a smile at him.