Chapter Fourteen

A sharp pain ran up the side of my neck as I woke up. I groaned as I rubbed my sore muscles. My mouth was dry, and I ran my hand across my cracked lips to feel something wet run down my chin. There was a chuckle.

"Are you done drooling on me?" Ben asked.

My eyes flew open and I sat straight. I rubbed my neck with one hand and rubbed my eyes with my other. Ben was in the seat next to me. A book was spread out across his lap. I could see the wet mark on his shirt. He reached beside him and pulled out the pair of sunglasses. I slid them onto my face. At least the dark lenses stopped me from staring at that embarrassing pool of drool.

"How long was I asleep for?" I asked.

"Almost seven hours," he said. "You were out cold."

"Well, sorry I was drugged."

I looked around the plane to see Oliver sitting on the seat stretched along the side of the plane. He had his laptop on the table in front of him and was typing. I curled up on my seat and rested my head against the window.

"We're landing soon, kids," Oliver said. He must have heard us talking.

Ben continued to read his novel and I stared out the window at the clouds. A few minutes passed, and the pilot's voice came over the intercom telling us we were about to land. I fastened the seatbelt across my lap and rolled my eyes when Ben double-checked it.

When the plane landed, Oliver told me to stay by Ben's side again. Oliver lead the way out of the plane, and Ben wrapped his arm around my waist. The warm humid air felt heavenly against my skin. Ben must be sweating having to hide under a leather jacket and scarf.

A man showed Oliver his way to a boat. The plane had landed in an area that looked like where the plane left from Canada. The only difference was that the buildings were surrounded by tall thin trees. We walked down a short wooden dock and stepped into a boat. The three of us squeezed into the seat. Oliver put his hand on the back of my neck and forced my head down.

"I told you not to look up," he said. "And don't say anything until I say so."

I nodded my head. Oliver kept his hand on my neck for a few extra seconds, like a harsh warning.

The boat took off, and I kept my gaze on my knees. The cool mist from the boat cutting through the waves fell on my hair and bare legs. My glasses were coated in a layer of mist.

I struggled to keep my head down. Between wanting to look at the new surroundings and the pain creeping up into my neck, I wanted to raise my chin. A smile crept onto my lips when I felt the boat slow down.

"Ben, help Diana get up," Oliver said.

He used our real names? He must not be afraid of people figuring out who we are. Unless they already know. If they work for Dr. Alexander they must know what is happening to us and just don't care.

Ben grabbed my hand and pulled me onto my feet. He helped me onto the dock. I glanced up to see a Jeep nearby before my head was pushed back down. A woman with dark skin and a large smile planted across her face was waiting in front. I watched Oliver's feet walk by us.

"Good afternoon, Dr. Sweeney," the woman said, her voice was thickly laced with a beautiful accent.

"Nice to see you, Leta," Oliver said.

"Dr. Alexander has been having a bad day," she said. "He is resting for a bit. He'll meet you at the home."

"Thank you very much."

Ben opened up the door and slid across the seat. The three of us were pressed in the backseat again. A man was sitting in the passenger seat. My heart pounded when I saw the large assault rifle he was holding. Leta got into the driver's seat and started the Jeep.