33 - Open Mouth, Insert Converse

At dinner, Hartley pushes a fork through the zucchini pasta on her plate with a blank expression. She's been distant ever since we left The Promise House, like her thoughts are a million miles away. When I asked what was wrong she just shrugged and said, "Nothing."

Something inside me deflates. Because I don't believe her.

And I'm not the only one who's noticed. "So, how'd it go today?" Hartley's mom asks just before stuffing a forkful of zucchini into her mouth. Her eyes never leave her daughter's as she waits for an answer that doesn't come. Penny prods further. "You've been quiet all evening. Is everything all right?"

Hartley's shoulders rise in response. "Just thinking."

"About?"

She leans back in her chair, her face pale and rigid. "How unfair life is." The words tumble from her lips. "Those kids we saw today, they don't deserve to be there. And they don't deserve whatever the hell happened that forced them into a shelter in the first place."

Penny dabs the corners of her mouth with a napkin then lays it across her lap. "It is unfair, but life doesn't always turn out the way we hope."

"I know." Harley lets out a sigh of frustration. "I just feel bad that they don't have anyone watching out for them."

"But they do," I tell her. "They have Bastian."

She gives me a small smile.

"This Bastian fellow sounds like an amazing person." Penny's elbows plant on the table and she steeples her hands. "I'd love to meet him."

Hartley sighs again. Heavily. "I just wish there was something I could do for them, you know? Something more than rearranging a food pantry." Which is exactly the activity Bastian assigned to us after our tour. I admit it was a little lame. I was hoping to sit in on one of their group therapy sessions, or maybe even hit the streets with the outreach team. But with our lack of training, I suppose I understand why he didn't invite us to do those things. Still, it would have been cool.

"So plan something," Jolie suggests. She stands from her chair and slips her empty plate into the sink before resuming her seat.

Hartley's brows crinkle. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, plan something. Like, maybe when you go back to school, you can organize a fundraiser. Or you could have a bake sale or clothing drive. Get the whole school involved. I bet Bastian would be thrilled with whatever you came up with."

There's a pause. "But I want to do something now," Hartley complains. "I don't want to wait for school!"

A smile tugs at my lips. "I think I might be rubbing off on you. You've caught the volunteer bug. Feels pretty good, doesn't it?"

My best friend gives me a look.

"No, seriously," I go on. "I have never in my life heard you say you'd like to donate your time to anything or anyone other than yourself. No offense."

She snorts.

"Well, I, for one, think it's a marvelous idea," Penny says before pushing her chair away from the table. "You're a very resourceful girl. I know you'll come up with something." With that, Penny places her plate in the sink, then drops a kiss on top of Hartley's head. "And now I have a sweet tooth. Who wants to go out for ice cream? The shop down the street just started carrying non-dairy."

Jolie jumps up from her seat. "Ooo, count me in!"

"But I'm not even done with dinner yet," Hartley points out. "And I'm not really in the mood, anyway. Are you, Gwen?"

For non-dairy ice cream? "No, thanks." Why fix something that's not broken?

"Well, we're gonna take off then." Penny grabs her purse and looks directly at me. "Make sure she finishes her dinner, will you? No crumbs allowed. I want that plate clean by the time we get back."

"Mom." Hartley scowls. "I'll finish it, okay? You don't have to worry about me all the time."

Penny tucks a blonde curl behind Hartley's ear. "I'll always worry about you. You're my baby girl," she says, planting another kiss atop her head.

When Penny and Jolie close the front door behind them, Hartley takes her plate to the sink and shovels her pasta into the drain. She turns on the garbage disposal, letting the device gobble up the remains.

I shake my head. "You were supposed to eat that."

"I did the best I could."

"But you promised your mom. Why is she so concerned anyway? I mean, did you see the way she looked at me when she said to make sure you clean your plate?"

"You're not seriously going to lecture me about this, are you?" Hartley plops into the chair across from me.

"But you never finish." I think back over the past several weeks. When I have seen my friend eat, it's never been much, and sometimes she's finished before I even sit down.

"I could lecture you too, you know. Have you spoken to your father lately?" Her brows arch in a challenge.

We glare at each other until my phone interrupts from the table. My gaze flicks to the screen.

Dad.

Hartley's eyes shoot open wide. "Oh my God. I summoned him."

I hit silence and flip my cell face-down. "You didn't summon him. He's been calling for days."

"Then, don't you think you should answer?"

"Nope." I turn away. Even though everything Bastian said made perfect sense, I'm just not ready.

"Gwen. Hey, would you look at me, please?" Reluctantly, my gaze meets hers. "I think you should talk to him."

I swallow past the lump that's suddenly forming in my throat. "I don't want to. I don't know what to say."

Her hand finds my arm. "It may not be easy, but I think you should try. I know he hurt you, but sometimes, the people we love let us down. That's just the way life is." There's a long pause before she continues. "You have no idea how lucky you are."

I plop my elbows on the table and drop my head into my hands. "Yeah, right. My dad cheated on my mom and ruined all of our lives. I'm the luckiest girl in the whole wide world!" Once the first tear breaks free, the rest follow in quick succession.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you cry." Hartley grabs a paper towel from the counter, then passes it over as she sinks into her seat. I hold it to my sniffling nose. "But I still think you should consider what I said. Your father's not going to be around forever. What if something were to happen and you didn't get the chance to talk to him first? Believe me," she adds, her voice growing quiet. "You'd never forgive yourself."

I close my eyes and let out a slow breath. "You're right. I know you're right. I'll talk to him soon, I promise."

I stare out the window as the evening sun disappears behind a cluster of clouds, leaving the kitchen in shadows. It hasn't rained the entire time I've been in Louisiana and it better not start now.

"We're still going to Melanie's tonight, right?" I ask. Sully's going to be there and I don't want to miss it.

Her shoulders slouch forward. "I don't know. I'm sort of tired. How about we stay home and veg out in front of the TV instead? We could binge-watch Pretty Little Liars?"

"Again?" My stomach sinks all the way to my toes. "I really want to go. Please? Just for a little while? We don't have to stay super long."

She rolls her eyes, but the corner of her lips tilt up. "I've created a monster."

"I can't help it. I'm not going to be here much longer and I want to spend as much time with Sully as I can." I bat my lashes. "Pretty please? With an ocean of hot fudge on top? I promise not to drink and throw up all over your bathroom again."

Hartley cracks a smile. "How can I say no to that face?"

I borrow Sully's line. "You can't. It's not possible."