Chapter 1: My Parents Love

'Jaylee, you're stupid'. 'Why do you breathe? Just Stop'. 'Nobody wants you here on Earth'. 'Jaylee, I hate you and you're my cousin'. 'You're no better than that crack head of a mother, you have'. 'You're the ugliest and most disgusting female that ever lived'.

I, Jaylee Amena Hernandez, have heard all these things in my lifetime. I am eighteen, and I am a soon to be a graduate at Morris High School. I probably won't be attending because I don't have the money for cap and gown. I do have a small job at Christie's Diner. It only pays ninety dollars and sixty cents every two weeks.

I use the money for food and school needs. I have to pay for my books to use them for homework. I have supplied for myself since I was six years old. I would wash cars, clean for people, dog sit, and more just for five to ten dollars. The money could only get me a dollar hamburger and a dollar juice.

I don't have any siblings, and it doesn't feel as I have a mother or father. I walked the block five times not wanting to go home. It was getting dark and I saw the gang boys and dealers come out. I knew it was time to go in. Slowly opening the door, I walked in smelling alcohol and drugs.

I tried to run to my room before my mom and dad noticed.

"Jaylee, where do you think you're going? Get back here." My dad, Justin, yelled in his thick Puerto Rican accent. I turned around slowly and walked to my parents. I left a good eighteen inches between us.

"Where you been, bastard?" My mom said with the bottle of vodka dangling in her hand.

"W-work mama."

"Come here." Dad said with a slick grin on his face. I eased my way to him. He stood up and looked down on me with a glare.

"Bastard!" His fist slammed into my face like a brick. I fell carelessly on the floor with cocaine on it. I didn't scream or beg. I just took my beating.

My dad finished after minutes of endless hitting. I could hear my mom laughing like a hyena while cursing my name. Death was better than my life. One last kick and punch meant, my father was done. He yelled for me to leave his sight.

I ran to my room and laid on my bed. I took a pain reliever and waited on my headache to disappear. I placed the last piece of hot pocket through my swollen lips. Standing at the mirror, I cleaned all of my bruises and cuts. While I showered and winches in pain, I cried in pity of myself.

I looked in my small refrigerator and grabbed a mini- bottle of water. My small fridge held bottles of water, milk, pizzas, and hot pockets. On the top of my fridge, I had cereal boxes, noodles, and snacks. I spend about thirty dollars on food every three weeks. I eat small to have enough for later.

I slowly closed my eyes as I prayed for a better day. This morning, I got dressed in a baggy wore down pair of pants, oversized shirt, and beat up shoes. I grabbed my backpack and walked to school. As I walked down the hallway, I could hear the comments being made. I walked to Mr. Stanley's class.

"Oh, hey. Ms. Hernandez, how are you doing this fine morning? "He beamed.

"Fine. How are you?" I asked sitting in my desk.

"I'm great. Jalissa has been asking about you. All she talks about is having a play date with you."

"I love her. She is the sweetest baby. She is the best baby that I have babysat. I have babysat plenty of kids. "

"Thank you. I grade the calculus test of this last year term. You passed with a 98.8 and I must congratulate you on being the only one to score past a 90."

"Thank you, Mr. Stanley. You're a wonderful teacher." He smiled as the bell for first period rung.

The teenagers raged into the room with conversations. Many of them sat on the other side of the room because people made rumors that I smell. None of the rumors were true about me except the ones made about my parents. The whole first five periods were a blur. I walked in the food line behind everyone else.

"Monica, the stinky girl is behind me. Oh God, I'm going to die." Kiona said covering her nose. Her friend laughed heartily at her comment. I didn't say anything, I just got my food and sat at a vacant table. I wasn't scared of the people at my school, I just didn't bother to reply to the childish comments.

The last bell rang, I rushed to the restroom to change into my work clothes. I ran to the diner and I got there at three - fifty five. I clocked in for four p.m. My shifts run four to nine. That's some reason my pay is low because I don't work long hours.

"Hey, baby!" Mrs. Caroline said giving me a hug.

"Hey, Mrs. Caroline."

"Do you need anything? Food? Clothing? Money? Anything?"

"No, ma'am. Thank you for your offer."

"Are you sure? I don't mind."

"Yes, ma'am." She looked at my arms, legs, and face. Then, she looked at me with tears in her eyes.

"Again?" Mrs. Caroline said touching the cut on my eyebrow. I didn't say anything. She pulled me in her arms. I heard her sobbing. It made me cry twice as hard.

"Why can't you come live with me?"

"My parents will find me. They always have. "She wrapped me in her arms again.

I truly believe Mrs. Caroline would report my parents, if she know that I would okay as a result. She feared what would happen to me, if they know I told on them. I did too.   As much as, I hated what they did to me. I knew better than to say anything.

My dad always said if you called the police or have the police come to this house, I'll kill you. I believe he would. After all, why wouldn't I believe someone who beat me?

"Oh my sweetie pie, do you want the day off? I could schedule it and your pay would be the same."

"No, ma'am. I'm fine." I said getting myself together. I grabbed my apron and hair net.

"Please, I would pay you a hundred dollar bill just to take off. I can see you're tired. Please, I'm begging you." She always treats me like her own. Mrs. Christie Caroline is 29 year old with no kids and a husband. A short white lady with brown and a few strands of blonde hair stood before me waiting on my answer.

"Okay, I'll take off." She smiled and gave me a hundred dollars. She kissed the top of my head. I hugged her and grabbed my bag. I changed my clothes in the restroom. I was headed out and Mrs. Caroline stopped me.

"Here, these are my room key to Hotel Granduca. I called and they'll let you up. Its room 114 and you sleep tight, doll." She said. I smiled. Mrs. Caroline is like a mother to me. I hugged her one last time before I walked to the door.

"Don't be scared to order room service." She yelled. I waved as the door closed, I caught a cab to Hotel Granduca.

I entered the hotel suites. It was beyond beautiful, I laid on the bed. I was so comfortable that I just fell asleep. I woke up at 10 p.m. Oh no, I am dead.

They're going to kill me. Catching a cab home, I snuck to my room. There was no sight of my parents. I was proud of that. I did my homework for all my advanced classes.

Mrs. Jennings told me, I'm in the run for valedictorian of my twelfth grade class. I thought it was a good thing but I know I'm not going anywhere. I do have a grants and one scholarship but the scholarship last for two years. I want to be at Washington State University for four years. I don't have the money for the other two years.

The grants are to other schools. I fail to believe, they'll would allow me to use it for another school. After I did everything that needed to be done, I added up the hours that I have worked this week. I showered. Now, I could just sleep. It felt good to go to sleep without a headache from my dad's or mom's beaten.