Chapter 14

I woke up sick on Tuesday and had to call in to work to let them know I wouldn't be there. My throat was so sore that I could barely get the words out over the phone, but thankfully my boss seemed to understand.

After wrapping a huge blanket around my shoulders like a cape, I headed to the kitchen to make some oatmeal. The tile was cold on my feet and I tried to get back into my bed as quickly as possible. I settled in with my bowl and was content, snuggled in bed with plenty of blankets and pillows.

I hated being sick and I didn't know what to do with myself when I wasn't working.

I took some medicine and fell asleep around 11 while I was catching up on RuPaul's Drag Race. It was a good episode but my eyes were blurry and I couldn't focus on what was happening anyway. I would have to rewatch that episode another day.

The next time I woke up, it was raining outside and there was someone knocking on my door. I groaned loudly, not wanting to move from my warm bed to get it, so I didn't.

A minute later, the door opened and I sat up in bed. The only other person with a key to my house is Lindsay. "Hello?" I croaked, coughing after. I sounded awful and couldn't help but cringe.

The sound of heels on my hardwood floors followed as Lindsay came over to my bedroom. "Hey... oh, are you okay? You look awful!"

I rolled my eyes and shook my head, not feeling like talking anymore. I pointed at my throat, then made an X with my fingers. Then I coughed, just to prove the point.

Lindsay frowned. "I've been worried about you. Why haven't you answered my texts?" When I didn't answer, she realized I wasn't going to talk, and shook her head. "Never mind that. I have some big news to tell you."

I didn't really want to know, so I closed my eyes and snuggled back into my pillow.