Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter 6: An Academic Death - Part 1

Image by Matthew T. Rader from Unsplash

6/9 Free Chapters 

For the second time today, Ike splashed through the underground reservoir, its waters now clouded, as if their visit had soiled something pure. Like the first time, the hollow echo of calls was booming through the cavern, bouncing off the bricks. But there still was no response. 

"Take this," the guide said and produced two flashlights, one of which she handed to Jessica. She closed her finger around the cool metal; after having pep-talked herself into a lonely search, the proffered support came as a monumental relief. But this wasn't about her creature-comforts, if she went on her own and came to harm the insurance would act up.

"Who will show our guests around the chapel if you're with me?"

"I've given your colleague the sheet with my notes. They're all in English."

"She's French." Words had that way of running away from her. It had got her into trouble more than once, making people think she was being a smart-ass when she only suffered from an unruly tongue.

The guide sniggered, showing an unexpected sense of humour.

The headache that had said hello earlier was becoming more pronounced. The irony of the situation didn't escape her: Ike always carried tablets in her butt pack, but despite standing in a lake of drinking water, it was of no use to her.

"Sorry."

The guide nodded and pointed the beam at the unexplored expanse of reservoir. "Best if we stick to the central path and check out the alcoves on both sides, ja? Some parts are quite dark and we might miss something."

Ike was content to follow in the girl's wake and do as bid, grateful she wasn't left to explore the place on her own. It was a maze. Passageways intersected with each other; openings yawned where she didn't expect them and, just as the guide had warned her, the farthest parts were not well lit. Correction: Some of them were not lit at all.

"Originally, there was no electricity down here," the guide explained. The girl was a natural; she sensed when explanations were needed and gave them without being prompted. "We ran lines into the front part so the visitors can actually see something. The engineers have special lamps, but then this place is as solid as it can get. Very little maintenance required."

She stopped so suddenly, Jessica nearly ran into her back. "Shhh. Did you hear that?"

Ike strained her ears into the silence, but all she noticed was a rushing in her head, as the adrenaline in her bloodstream whipped her heart into a full gallop.

A small voice detached itself from the drip-filled calm. A pittering, a pattering, followed by a soft splash.

"Rats," the guide said matter-of-factly. "They always get in. We can't use poison, which gives them an unfair advantage."

"I see," Ike said, struggling for a neutral tone. Rats she could cope with. Spooky caverns she could cope with. Vanishing professors she could cope with. All three together were—a bit much.

The guide splashed on. "I don't understand what your guest could have been doing back here. And where he might have got to. I mean, he can't just dissolve."

Ike stared at her rubber boots. They were a better fit this time, given that she could take her pick from the full collection. No, the water had not turned into acid, and it wasn't eating away at her wellies.

"Not really," she said.

Nor had their missing guest been waiting outside. They had checked before setting out, hoping to run into an irate Cambridge don, lecturing them for gross negligence. No such luck. His colleagues had been no help either. Apparently, they had declared a truce shortly after leaving the group and went to explore the vault individually.