Home

True to his word I was out of the hospital two days later. I had to carry these EpiPen things with me now though, Dean had one in his pocket and so did Sam. We had left Oklahoma as soon as we could. We were crashing in another motel when Sam couldn't stop drawing on a notepad. "All right, I've been cruising some websites, I found a few candidates for our next gig." Dean was saying as he scrolled through another website on the laptop. He sipped his coffee, "A fishing trawler found off the coast of Cali, its crew vanished, and we got some cow mutilations in West Texas..." Sam didn't seem to be paying attention, "Hey!" Dean called, "Am I boring you with this hunting evil stuff?" Dean asked after Sam finally looked in our direction. "No. I'm listening. Keep going," he told us as he glanced back at the notepad. Dean tapped his pen against a notepad, "And, here, a Sacramento man shot himself in the head. Three times. Any of these things blowin' up your skirt, pal?" Dean asked as he waved his hand around in Sam's general direction as he said the last sentence. Sam continued to stare at the motel's notepad. "Wait. I've seen this," he seemed to come to a realization. Now Dean and I were both confused, "Seen what?" Sam only got up and started digging through one of Dean's duffles. "What are you doing?" Dean asked as Sam took out Dad's journal. He flipped it open and started digging through one of the pockets, taking out a picture. "Dean, I know where we have to go next," Sam sounded like he'd just ran a marathon. That or he was just really excited with whatever he'd found. Dean and I were still equally confused, "Where?" he and I asked at the same time. "Jynx," I muttered, "You owe me a book," Dean shot me a look before looking back at Sam, "Where?" Dean asked again. "Back home –- back to Kansas," I hadn't even been to Kansas before, I knew Dean wouldn't take us there. Even Dad turned down all the cases there. "Okay, random. Where'd that come from?" Sam practically ran over to Dean and I, showing us the photo, "All right, um, this photo was taken in front of our old house, right? The house where Mom died?" I looked at the picture, it was of Dad, Dean, baby Sam, and a woman I guessed was Dean's mom. "Yeah," Dean confirmed as he looked up from the picture. "And it didn't burn down, right? I mean, not completely, they rebuilt it, right?" What was Sam getting at? "I guess so, yeah. What the hell are you talkin' about?" Dean seemed to agree with me. "Okay, look, this is gonna sound crazy but....the people who live in our old house –- I think they might be in danger," Sam wouldn't look at Dean or me, instead focusing on the floor. "Why would you think that?" Dean was leaning on the table, the photo still in hand. "Uh...it's just, um....look, just trust me on this, okay?" Sam asked, sounding nervous. "Wait, whoa, whoa, trust you?" Dean asked, eyebrow raised. Sam got up and darted back to the journal, "Yeah," Sam said, like what he was asking for was nothing. Dean and I got up and followed him, "That's not how we work Sammy," I told him. "Yeah, come on, man, that's weak. You gotta give us a little bit more than that," Dean expanded on my point. "I can't really explain it is all," Sam was stuttering, why was he so nervous? Around us? "Well, tough. I'm not goin' anywhere until you do," Dean used his stern voice, crossing his arms as Sam sighed, "I have these nightmares," he started slowly. "I've noticed," Dean said with a nod. "And sometimes....they come true," Sam said quietly, staring at the bed. Dean looked shocked, "Come again?" I agree, why were we just finding this out. "Look, Dean....I dreamt about Jessica's death –- for days before it happened," Sam looked at Dean. "Sam, people have weird dreams, man. I'm sure it's just a coincidence," Dean tried to reason as he sat on the bed. I stole his chair by the computer. Sam kept insisting, "No, I dreamt about the blood dripping, her on the ceiling, the fire, everything, and I didn't do anything about it 'cause I didn't believe it. And now I'm dreaming about that tree, about our house, and about some woman inside screaming for help. I mean, that's where it all started, man, this has to mean something, right?" Sam voice got faster and faster as he spoke. "I don't know," for once, Dean sounded like he didn't know what to do. Dean never sounded like that... "What do you mean you don't know, Dean? This woman might be in danger. I mean, this might even be the thing that killed Mom and Jessica!" Sam raised his voice, I brought my feet up onto the chair in front of me and hugged my knees. Dean started to get defensive, "All right, just slow down, would ya?" He told Sam as he started to pace, "I mean, first you tell me that you've got the Shining? And then you tell me that I've gotta go back home? Especially when...." Dean trailed off, looking like he was about to cry. "When what?" Sam asked, starting to get quieter. "When I swore to myself that I would never go back there?" It sounded more like a question, but Dean looked as sad as he sounded. I decided to let the two of them play this out. "Look, Dean, we have to check this out. Just to make sure," Sam kept pushing. Dean sighed, "I know we do."